Central IL Grape Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justmike

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to try growing some wine grapes in my backyard. I'm in central IL, zone 5b. I have room for maybe 4-6 vines. My preference for wine is 'big red.' I've had and enjoyed Norton before. I'm open to anything, including some mix of vines.

So, if you were in my situation, what would you grow?

Thanks!

Big Red and 5b don't go together well. I would say one of the best choices for it in that cold of a spot would be Marquette. It will ripen enough to get the brix up to 26 to 28 and drop the acid enough. It will have some nice bright character, but you may need some tannin additions. Noiret would also work for you but the brix only gets to about 20.

Thanks for the suggestion, Marquette sounds great. Moving somewhere warmer sounds even better...but for now I'll have to settle for cold hardy vines. :)

That's a good question. This is far from scientific but here goes...

The 'estate' grapes from the local wineries are Foch, Frontenac, and Catawba (typically made as a sweet red). Whites are probably more prevalent? Cayuga, and maybe Riesling I think I've seen.

I've seen a bit of Norton sold here as well, but I *think* most of the grapes come from southern IL, or MO and aren't grown locally? My original thought was Norton, but I have a feeling from the little bit of reseach I've done that I've done and grapeman's advice that while that grape might grow here, it might not grow well.

Marquette and Frontenac are on my short list so far.

I would second the Marquette suggestion. Vineyards in Eastern Washington, where they can grow syrah, cab, merlot - are now planting marquette because it is more hardy and excellent quality.

What part of central Illinois are you located in justmike?

I'm in Bloomington/Normal - How about you Bob?

Thanks Greg, that's really interesting about favoring Marquette over those more traditional grapes!

Outside of Springfield mike! I am not recommending this place by any means, but since you are in Bloomington, you might check with Owens Nursery on Morrissey Drive. I was there a couple of weeks ago and he sounded like he had a cooler full of bare root grapes. Of course there was not a wide selection, but the price seemed right. The place does not get good reviews for mail orders and I had a friend who waited forever to get what he ordered, so buyer beware. I have never ordered from them, but my dad placed an order with them and so far he has not heard a thing. It might be different if you walked in and bought over the counter. I don't think that they know anything about planting grapes. The guy that I talked to was telling me that I could start planting in April. I have vines coming from Double A and I am having them shipped mid-May and I hope that things are finally warming up enough to plant then. Don't know about you, but we had snow this morning. Personally, for this area, I would not want to plant in April.....could be wrong. The price was right on the vines, but I'll hold off for a few weeks and maybe go back up to meet with old friends. I can store them in a cooler here before planting in May. Just something to check out. Double A will guarantee their plants, I don't know about this place...probably not.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice Bob, you answered alot of my questions!

I've ordered a few vines from Double A, and I'm looking forward to getting started.

You won't go wrong there. Another quality place to keep in mind is Eric over at the Grafted Grapevine Nursery. but on checking, they are already sold out for this year. Both places are very helpful. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back