Cellar Craft Cellar Craft

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smurfe's suggestion isgood. The grape pack should add body and flavor to any red, but I would suggest the Mezza Luna Red or the Cab. Both are supposed to be big bodied wines and the grape pack should do just that.

oooo yeah the mezza luna get's my vote! Or even better yet, take a Luna Rossa to a whole new level! I bet it would turn out like the new super tuscan on its way in!

Of course if you have no use for them, feel free to send the bucket my way, I would be glad to "dispose" of them for you
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

You are such the "southern gentleman!" Always thinking of others.
smiley2.gif

wow what a bummer all sterizied and no place to start a batch of wine. I use wine expert and rj spanols kits they have been wonderful . George will take care of you if you internet buy. didn relize cellar crakft was from rj i use the vino vide for quick aging and the grand cru for longer aging batches. Edited by: OldWino

OldWino said:
wow what a bummer all sterizied and no place to start a batch of wine. I use wine expert and rj spanols kits they have been wonderful . George will take care of you if you internet buy. didn relize cellar crakft was from rj i use the vino vide for quick aging and the grand cru for longer aging batches.

Actually, Cellar Craft is a company in their own right. RJ Spagnols does sell a line of kits called Cellar Classic, not Cellar Craft. And you are right, the Vino del Vida kits are quick aging 9 liter kits. Grand Cru are their 10 liter kits, while Cellar Classics are 15 liter and Cru Select are 16 liter kits. To further muddy the waters in the RJS lineup, there is the En Primeur series that are 18 liter kits that frequent shed wine diamonds due to higher concentrations of tartaric acids. The En Primeur series would be the equivalent of the Estate series in Winexpert. Both Excellent kits and about the best money can buy!

Actually, that would be a nice little kit upgrade the manufacturers could make. A grape pack to add to a regular kit. I am sure they have thought it out already though. I don't see why it couldn't work as I do not believe the grape packs are varietal specific. I guess though that this would throw of the natural taste of the kit and a Cab wouldn't specifically taste like a Cab, so on and so on. It would be great for those that want to kick it up a notch though.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

The grape packs are varietal specific and need to be to support the flavor as you indicated. This is not to say it can't be done. It just that you will produce a wine with different characteristics than by just using the kit.

The grape pack is a relatively new item, especially the WE pack since it is more than just grape skins, seeds, stems and nails. How the grape pack is used by WE over the next several years is anyone'e guess, but I would be surprised if they became available as an upgrade. The grape pack would probably increase the price of a VR to that of a selection kit, so do you want more fresh juice or the skins. I think the fresh juice would be more important up to a certain level, then the grape pack. Now you have a crushendo.

By the way, WE recommends against re-using the grape skins. They say they are used up during the first 7 days of primary.

geocorn said:
The grape packs are varietal specific and need to be to support the flavor as you indicated. This is not to say it can't be done. It just that you will produce a wine with different characteristics than by just using the kit.

The grape pack is a relatively new item, especially the WE pack since it is more than just grape skins, seeds, stems and nails. How the grape pack is used by WE over the next several years is anyone'e guess, but I would be surprised if they became available as an upgrade. The grape pack would probably increase the price of a VR to that of a selection kit, so do you want more fresh juice or the skins. I think the fresh juice would be more important up to a certain level, then the grape pack. Now you have a crushendo.

By the way, WE recommends against re-using the grape skins. They say they are used up during the first 7 days of primary.

George, Wine Expert must be varietal specific. I believe thedata I read was in reference to Cellar Craft grape packs. If I remember right, the data came from the manufacturer in communications with a customer.It referred to all of theirkits using the same grape pack. I am not saying this is the gospel but I just remember reading this information when I made this brand specific kit. You know the Internet, it never provides false information either!
smiley2.gif

Further information I remember of this brand was the Cellar CraftAmarone kit has like some type of Raisin pack added to the generic grape pack resulting in a 10 pound grape pack as opposed to a 7 pound pack (don't hold me to the weights, I am going my a cloudy memory). Guess I should of been more specific in my babbling.I will scrounge around and see if I still have the info saved somewhere.

After hearing Tim G. speak, I have no doubt that the Wine Expert kits are varietal specific. Sounds like they are "super anal", which is good. In fact it's great as we get a super product. I was quite impressed with the science they put into their manufacturing. I wish I could find similar information as to the manufacturing process for the other companies so we could compare apples to apples or I guess should say Cabernet's to Cabernet's!
smiley36.gif

We all know the superior product that WE makes. I still believe other companies make a quality product as well. I buy WE cause thats what George sells. I am more than pleased. I guess I post the information for those that may not buy from George. I know you say who wouldn't but personally I hope winemakers that may buy from their local brew shops will still utilize this forum to share knowledge as well as make new friends. Their local shops may sell a different brand. I read about numerous brands such as the Cellar Craft, RJ Espagnol's, Herron Bay and a few others I just can't spell.
smiley5.gif
I am not advocating a switch to other brands. I just feel everyone deserves a fair shot before wedecimate them.
smiley36.gif
If a particular brand trips your trigger, by all means make it and enjoy it no matter where it came from. Just remember to factor in customer service along with the quality factor. They go hand in hand. But hey, we have that covered here don't we!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Hey Smurfe,

Cellar Craft's kits did start out that way with the single "grape pack" for all of basically unidentified vinifera grapes all crushed up, however, that has changed. Now most the the newer selections like the Malbec, Pinotage and now the even newer OV Zin use varietal specific packs. And now they are all 10 lb packs as well to my knowledge. At least the last few that I have gotten in have been 10lbs of crushed grapes. I think that their product is continually evolving and getting better all the time. I am a huge fan of Cellar Craft, RJ Spagnols, and Winexpert products. I think they all have "gems" that are better than what each other company offers.

I'd say that Cellar Craft offers the product closest to what you get from real grapes, RJS offers a very high quality line in the EP series, and Winexpert overall offers the most consistent quality across the whole product line. I really haven't been disappointed with any of these 3 company offerings. And in IMHO, winexpert's port cannot be beaten by ANYONE. That is my favorite kit from them.

The WE port is excellent. I had a chance to talk with Tim V. about it last weekend and he says the reason it is so good is that the grapes come from the Oporto region of Portugal. This is where the major ports are made. I have 9 batches of wine in progress that will be bottled toward the end of June. At that point, we are going to make all of the 3 gallon WE kits, which include the Port, Ice Wine, Sherry, Amarone and Sparkling Wine. We are going to make 2 each of the Port, Sherry and Amarone. I want to make the dry and cream version of the Sherry and I want to make a chocolate port and a regular port. I am making 2 of the Amarone because they are just too good ot only make 3 gallons!

Hey George!!

Chocolate port? Are you holding out on us?
smiley16.gif
Do you have a recipe or techinique to share? I would love to make it....

-Doug

Dean, great info to know. I have no idea how old the info I read was. As said, I am a huge WE fan but do like the options to make a competitor and compare. It also in sense gives me the feeling of stocking various brands in my collection and I do like variety even with the same style. I like a particular Cab but then like a competitors Cab that host totally different characteristics.

One reason I love this hobby, the versatility. If I always make the same Cab kit my wine will always taste the same. I like to mix it up a little every now and then. God I love this place!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back