Cellar Craft Cellar Craft

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
Just received my first cellar craft kit and i didn't get the proper instructions. Hmmmm, hope this isn't a bad omen. I'll keep you posted!!

There is a reason why I sell Winexpert. Actually, there are a lot of reasons why I sell Winexpert! Quality, quality, quality from the kit to the packaging to the instructions. Winexpert is the best!

Just go to Cellar Craft's website and get the instructions you need.....oh never mind they don't have any instructions for their kits on the website.
smiley7.gif

ummm., yeah, I just got off the phone w/ cellar craft (they were very nice), I didn't even get a kit in a cellar craft box, and oops, no juice! I have called the place that I ordered from, they are closed on Mondays (verified on the sited). I am pissed!!!

You know, I'm bending over, could someone kick me! I loved this wine (tasted it at the mixer). I don't even want to make it, I'm so mad now. I hunted this kit down on the internet and debated, but I loved it so much I took the plunge and ordered from Adventures in Homebrewing. I am so mad, I've already contacted my credit card company.

Word to the wise, don't make a wine drinking red head mad!!
smiley7.gif

You poor thing!
smiley19.gif
Young, innocent, ripped off by some wolf in wine's clothing!
smiley7.gif

You've shopped with the rest, now turn to the best...

djcoop said:
ummm., yeah, I just got off the phone w/ cellar craft (they were very nice), I didn't even get a kit in a cellar craft box, and oops, no juice! I have called the place that I ordered from, they are closed on Mondays (verified on the sited). I am pissed!!!

What was the kit packaged in? oops, no juice....I hope you are kidding that there wasn't any juice in the box!
smiley5.gif

You should have a little something to help reduce your stress. Maybe a little mead...

I don't believe I would lay the blame yet on the manufacturer, It sounds like the retailer re-packed the kit. I don't know how anyone could pick up a box that didn't have the juice bag in it though and not know it was there. I think the issue here though was the seller.

The 2 kits I made were in a Cellar Craft box. The retailer did re-pack the box as there were issues with the grape pack bucket tearing the juice bag. I received everything in mine in the original box, just repacked with shipping peanuts padding the bucket.

I know George sells WE for a reason as he stated and I to agree that the WE are great kits but I do have to say that the 2 Cellar Craft kits I made were excellent and actually the best I have made (and tasted) so far. Thissaid, I am sure a few of my WE kits are going to match and exceed these kits but like Isaid, they were great. I made the Rosso Fortissimo and the Amarone kits.

The only reason I actually bought them though is the retailer had them clearanced and I got them for $60.00 each (no, they weren't expired). This retailer was switching to WE kits as well.I notice most retailers normally stock one brand and I kinda wish they could offer a variety so we could try other brands and not have to shop around. I like my retailer and want to give all my business to him.

Heck, I actually felt guilty buying elsewhere and really only did as a local guy who gave me a ton of stuff when he got out of wine making bought his stuff from the other place and said to give them a shot. I did, they were OK but I like shopping where I do already.

I would definitely give the retailer a chance to make things good before calling in the Mafia. It really is only fair. Mistakes do get made at times and even if a company has a history of great service you never know if there is a newbie employee that don't know squat yet. SO give them a chance to make things good and if they don't, then sick the big dogs on them.

Oh yeah, if and when you get a complete kit if you still don't have instructions, let me know. I save every instruction page in my records. I keep all my notes and code stickers on these sheets so I can make you a copy if you need one.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Since we are talking about Cellar Craft I thought I would share this shocking post from another forum.

"I was racking my Cab Quartet yesterday, and when I was cleaning out my Bucket, I found a very large rusty nail at the bottom.

Just called and spoke with Christina ? and she explained that things like that do sometimes get into the crushed grapes from the vineyard. And I guess because it is not been filtered/pumped nails and such sometimes get sent as an extra bonus
smile.gif

Apparently it will not affect my wine
smile.gif
"

That would be the Iron Additive for strong bones and teeth, a little tough on the digestive system though.
smiley2.gif

earl

OK, I've had a couple of glass of cab, so I am ready to type
smiley2.gif
, please excuse the typos in advance.

First of all, if I find a nail in my wine, they will be sending me another kit!!

Second, this is the detailed responsed I have received from all of the parties involved:
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">

Christina,

I cannot see how this happened. I would guess UPS broke the juice bag and repackaged the kit delivering what was not damaged. I will have to contact UPS on this theory. The instructions are another story, I cannot believe UPS would download a set of instructions and deliver them without knowing what the item was. I am very confused how this might happen. The kit (IN its origanal box) was delivered in a white box with thick walls. This is thesame way we ship all of the cellar craft kitsand rarely have issues with UPS shipping these items. When there is a shipping issue, UPS contacts us and fixes the problem. This seems more like they just said "Screw It", and shipped what was left. I will apologize to the customerand get another kit out ASAP. I would like the other kit back to show to our UPS rep (I am sure they will take care of any shipping fees). This is plain bad business and ignorance no matter how you look at it. I am very dissapointed in them if this is all true.

I will let you know what I find on this,

Jason

<DIV align=center>
<DIV align=center>Adventures in Homebrewing
<DIV align=center>23439 Ford RD
<DIV align=center>Dearborn MI 48128
<DIV align=center>(313) 277 2739
<DIV align=center>[url]www.homebrewing.org[/url]
<DIV align=center>
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif">

----- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 5:43:25 PM
Subject: Donna Cooper, Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo problem

<X content="text/; charset=us-ascii" http-equiv="Content-"><X content="MS 6.00.2900.2873" name="GENERATOR">

<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Hi Jason,
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Below...here's a copy of the e-mail I received today and the reply I sent back. I'm sure you have a voice message and quite possibly an e-mail from your customer, Donna Cooper.
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>I'll leave the resolution in your hands and I'm in tomorrow at 8:30 PST / 11:30 EST if you would like to speak with me about this issue. She called the office today while I was on my lunch break and she spoke with Christina Phiniotis.Christina told me about the wine kit arriving to Donna in a brown box with just a grape pack and add pack, no wine kit juice bag.
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Have a good day.
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Thanks,
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Christina Olson

<DIV =OutlookMessageer lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left>
<HR =-1>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 2:31 PM
To: 'Donna Cooper'
Subject: RE: my purchase from adventures in homebrewing

<DIV dir=ltr align=left>Hi Donna,
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>I appreciate you contacting me with the Rosso Fortissimo problem. I have just spoke with Christina Phiniotis, our Quality Control manager and she also advised me of the error. I'm terribly sorry to hear of the shipping error.I'm sure thereis an innocent, logical explanation for the mix-up. Without knowing the situation, my guess is they must have shipped the grape pack and add pack to you by mistake and it should have gone to a different address. Once in a while, a grape pack might leak from shipping and they would send out a replacement pack and /or add pack.

We have been working with Adventures in Homebrewing since 2004 and have an excellent business relationship. Theypride themselvesin being an authorized Cellar Craft dealer and the customer service they provide. I know they will ship you a replacement Rosso Fortissimo ASAP. It would be up to them whetherif they need to get the package back from you. Personally, I don't see the need to ship it back because shipping rates are expensive.

I will send them an e-mail and be in contact with them when I come in tomorrow morning. We will take care of the problem immediately.

Thank you very much for your business. Feel free to send me an e-mail,if you have any further questions or comments.

Kind Regards,

Christina Olson
U.S. Sales Representative
Cellar Craft International
a division of Vitality Foodservice Canada Inc
[url]www.cellarcraftwine.com[/url]

<DIV =OutlookMessageer lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left>
<HR =-1>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 2:03 PM
To: Olson, Christina
Subject: my purchase from adventures in homebrewing

I purchased (for my mother's day gift) a Rosso Fortissimo kit from Adventures in Homebrewing. I just received my cellar craft kit today (I think). It did not come in a cellar craft box, but tied up in a clear trash like bag. It only included the berries, yeast, clarifier, k-meta, oaks, bentonite, strainer bag. NO JUICE and the incorrect instructions. I called you customer service and spoke with Christina. She was very shocked and said she would make note of this. I attempted to contact the retailer and
their website said they were closed on Mondays, and their was no answer. I have sent them an email.

I hope that you will assist my by contacting this retailer. I would like to send this kit back (free of charge of course) and be sent a new kit in the appropriate packaging.
I have always made wine expert kits and this is my first cellar craft, and thus far, I am not happy!

Donna Cooper

So there you have it folks. I will keep you posted on all the details. Until then, I will only dream of Smufe's Ross Fortissimo (maybe he'll feel sorry for me and send me a bottle
smiley2.gif
, hehehehehe)

Sounds like it will be resolved fairly quickly and you will be making your kit shortly. My only question is where UPS would download the instructions from since I could not find them on Cellar Craft's Website.

The Cellar Craft kit I bought last year was also damaged in transit since the packaging was very poor and after I spent 45 minutes on the phone with UPS answering all their questions (this was the retailer's policy on damaged goods) I did get a replacement kit.

Good luck and keep a close eye out for rusty nails!
smiley36.gif

Keep us posted on the saga. I hope it is made good for you. This is probably the biggest reason I buy from George. The product comes from him . Many stores Online drop ship from the manufacturer or a distributor. He stocks the items in his store so they get to see exactly what is going to the customer.

Anyone who bought from George has witnessed packing and shipping perfection. I have had one item come from George with damage (an Innisglass packet in a wine kit) that was more than likely damaged prior to his shipping to me. He quickly fixed the issue.

Like I said, I have made 2 of the Cellar Craft kits and had no problems and found them to be quality items. I haveread posts from people that have had similar issues with Wine Expert products as well. It sounds like the manufacturer will make the product good for you. They know about these Online communities (forums) and know that bad press spreads like wildfires. If they don't take care of you, let us know so we can light the match.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Sorry to hear of all the troubles with a Cellar Craft kit! I've heard that they are hard to find in the US due to lack of distributors, and Vitality Inc having a much smaller distribution channel. I tend to forget about those things because I actually live about 20 minutes from Cellar Craft, RJ Spagnols, and Winexpert. All my suppliers just go by the factories and "pick up my kits on their way in" the next mornings.

Donna, don't give up on this kit! Cellar Craft kits are excellent both with and without rusty nails! The wine they create are nothing short of spectacular! I have done the Amarone, Rosso Fortissimo, Washington State Merlot, South African Pinotage, Argentinian Malbec, and Yakima Valley Syrah. All of them are nothing short of spectacular and most will still be aging for some time. I hear that their whites, and particularly the Gewurtztraminer is one of the best as well. They also make a muscat desert wine that I have yet to try.

Does George carry Cellar Craft products? I know that my local winexpert does carry them as the only non-winexpert product in his store.

After this discussion last night I grabbed a bottle of the Yakima Valley Syrah and had some to try and it was very good. It is 10 months in the bottle and will try again later this year.

Everyone will run into issues at times and the most important thing is that the retailer and or the manufacturer handles the issue in a efficient and timely manner that satisfies youas the customer.

George does not carry Cellar Craft Kits.

Cellar Craft, Spagnols and others make some nice products and I have considered adding some of them to my product line. I have chosen not to carry other brands for the following reasons:

1. Consistency of the product from batch to batch and year to year.

2. Quality of the packaging. I ship a lot of kits and I need to have a kit show up in good shape. I have significantly higher failure rates with non-WE kits. I lose about 1 out of 500 with WE and 1 out of 50 with all other brands.

3. Age of the kits. The WE kits are always fresh when I receive them. Some of the other brands have shown up expired.

As I said, there are some very nice competing kits out there, but from my perspetive as a retailer, I have to choose products on which I can depend time after time after time. With WE, I can! Until the other brands catch up with WE, I will most likely only carry Winexpert products.

Well, I just got off the phone with the company that I bought my Rosso Fortissimo from. They have already shipped me a new one in the mail.
smiley32.gif
UPS contacted them today and stated that the driver documented that he busted the kit and it leaked all over his truck. He supposedly freaked out and repacked and delivered, because he didn't know what else to do.
smiley29.gif
This makes sense to me since there was grape juice residue on the berry pack and on the shipping label. They do not want me to ship the other kit back, just trash it (haha, berries anyone??)

I am just happy that they promptly took care of if like they should have, and I can make this wine!!

Thanks for all of your support and listening ears...
smiley31.gif

Save that grape pack and use it on just about any red kit. I personally would get a low end VR kit and use them in it to kick it up a notch!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back