RJ Spagnols Cellar Craft Winery Series 20070628

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wctisue

Reaction score
I found a Craigslist ad for two Caberbet Sauvignonkits. Called, negotiated and bought two kits for $110 even knowing they are nearly 2 1/2 years old. My thinking is the juice will still be OK but the yeast is too old to use. Agree??????

Spagnols packed a generic "wine yeast pack" in the kit. What yeast should I get at the LHBS?

Wayne

Thats an ongoing question about the yeast, some say they spent lots of time to figure out what yeast to use, I say they use a yeast that works well in any situation and is the best bet to ferment dry without paying closer attention to profiles maybe What I will say is that what comes with these kits does a damn good job as every one of these kits has been awesome. If it can be improved then you are really in for a treat but just using what comes with these kits will produce you a freakin great wine and that works for me. Congrats on the score, they should be fine.

No such product to best of my knowledge as Cellar Craft Winery Series. There is a Cellar Classic Winery Series, which since you posted this in the RJ Spagnols forum, I guess that's what you meant.

When RJS switched to the little white unnamed packages of yeast, they told retailers that it was EC-1118.There should be an expiry date stamped on the side of the yeast package.

$55 for one of these kits is a good deal. Hope they work out for you.

Wade, I was an RJS retailer. Never saw any yeast other than EC-1118 in their kits. Tim from WE claims that maufacturers test many yeasts. He is wrong. What he means is Winexpert tests many yeasts.

Steve

The big red box does indeed say Cellar Classic. The date on the yeast packet is 07-2009. I'm going to order two packets of EC1118 and get them in the primary soon to find out if this was a really good deal or not.

Wayne

Have you thought about a tweaking experiment, Wayne? Since you are doing 2 identical kits at once, it would be the perfect time to try oaking one or bulk aging one more than the other.

I will be interested to hear how this turns out!

Yeah, I would also do the same. I would do one with the yeast that typically comes with it and then another with maybe with RC 212.

Great suggestions. I got back from the LHBS with two packets of EC 1118. Maybe I'll oak them differently.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Keep us posted!
smiley1.gif

Good luck on the kits. 2 years is usually the maximum shelf life on a wine kit and ONLY if the kits were stored in a temperature controlled area. Not only is there an color issue, the SO2 protection slowly leaks out of the bag.

By the way, eBay and Craiglist are known for selling out of date wine kits. Buyer beware.

Back