Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Date Codes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Date code info for CC kits I found for future reference:
Cellar Craft has recently returned to stamping the date on the side of the 16 & 18 liter kits. On the 7.5L kits the date code is on a sticker on the front of the kit.

For example a kit that has the following number of D27512SA. The first letter refers to the month, in this case D refers to April (A=Jan, B = Feb, C= March etc). The 27 is the date of the month. The next number is the year. So this kit was made on April 27, 2005. The numbers after the year are internal codes used by the manufacturer.
Edited by: masta

question.....how old should the kits be when we would consider them unusable or not recommended?

I would say tat it all depends on the storage of the kit. I know of a few people who made kits on this forum and a few on another that had no problems with kits that were around 1 1/2 years old. I would recommend smelling the juice and looking at it to make sure it is not oxidized. and doing a yeast starter to make sure the yeast is viable.

Id give it a try but have a fresh packet of yeast handy just in case.

are we looking at the RES # or the LOT #

RES# 111515

Lot# F118812SAEdited by: Al Fulchino

May 11 2008 from what I read, did you just get these or have these been sitting in your basement? You are supposed to go by the Lot#
Edited by: wade

just got them...thank Wade...you always come thru.....i think it would be June(F) and then 11 for the 11th and 8 for 2008...great!

Oooopppsss, You are right. Cant count letters and fingers at the same time!
smiley9.gif
smiley36.gif

Christina Olson of Cellar Craft could not have been more helpful regarding my inquiry about expiry dating.....not only did she supply me w the lot number decoder page (shown below), she added these additional thoughts:

"The kits are still good after their expiry depending on reds, whites and dessert kits and how they are stored. They tend to last a few months longer if keep cool, reds last longer than whites and dessert kits can last for up to 6 months past date."

Lot Decoder Page:

A Division of Vitality Foodservice Canada Inc.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:pLACE>Lot</ST1:pLACE> number decoder<O:p></O:p>
Example – A10712SA: January 10<SUP>th</SUP>, 2007<O:p></O:p>
A = January, B = February<O:p></O:p>
10 = Manufacturing date<O:p></O:p>
7 = Year (2007)<O:p></O:p>
12 = 12 month shelf life<O:p></O:p>