Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Sterling GSM

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the same thing. He honored the sale price and did not charge my card until it shipped!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

BTW...have you made any of the whites??

Thanks for the article, that explains a few things :ft

I haven't tried any whites - yet. Other than the mist kits, no one really drinks a dry white, and the two Rieslings we have made (Mosto Italiano and World Vinyard) were very disappointing.

I'll work up the courage one of these days.

rayway, I have made the RJS Gewurtztraminer (Grand Cru International) which is a 12L kit and IMHO it's a good summer sipping wine and much better than the breezin kits.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Thanks GaDawg! I'll have a look into it. I'm always worried that if I'm the only one drinking the stuff, it'll go bad before I get through the entire kit.

Thing is, I'm SO tired of the mist kits. I used to love them, but now I find that they taste very fake and that they're too sweet. I guess I'll just make them for the relatives from now on :)

Thanks for the article, that explains a few things :ft

I haven't tried any whites - yet. Other than the mist kits, no one really drinks a dry white, and the two Rieslings we have made (Mosto Italiano and World Vinyard) were very disappointing.

I'll work up the courage one of these days.

The WV kit...was it the Washington Riesling?? I was about to try that one LOL!!!

I have the Grigio on tap right now...primary is empty...sadness :(

Yeah, it was that Riesling. It had NO flavour, no aroma, and just tastes like...nothing. Ugh.
(sorry man)

GaDawg - that exact kit just cam on sale for $64.99. I'm going to try and get out there to get one!

Chef ken and geek, how is your CC sterling GSM coming along? I am pulling mine out of the barrel this weekend and it has rounded out quite nicely. Ready to be consumed if you ask me.

Chef ken and geek, how is your CC sterling GSM coming along? I am pulling mine out of the barrel this weekend and it has rounded out quite nicely. Ready to be consumed if you ask me.

Good question....
I need to open a bottle and report back later or tomorrow...stay tuned.

How did your Gewurtztraminer turn out? I only make one mist kit a year. It's a watermelon merlot and I give most of it away. I also chaptalize it with 5 lbs of sugar, it has a kick but the extra sugar makes it seem less sweet.

That's a good question and the answer is I have no idea. I bulk age for at least 6 months and then bottle and put away for another 3 months before I even think about opening a bottle. If memory serves me, I think in mid December when I bottled the GSM it was quite good with plenty of potential. I'm in the process of moving and somewhere in the 20+ cases of wine boxed up for the move they sit. Maybe after I move in a couple of weeks we'll try a bottle and report back

Just opened a bottle.
For me it has long legs but still harsh, not silky as I'd like.
I don't have a barrel.

I guess I'll leave it alone and try again by summer.

This GSM was my third wine kit and I have been impressed. It doesn't have a lot of body, but it is smooth. It was the first kit I used my AIO pump to degas. That made a big difference. I bulked aged for 6 months or so. Also, due to some changes in my life (kids, a house) I've barely touched the bottled wine for over a year, and I know that made a big difference too.

I remember it was hot/harsh at my first tasting. Unfortunately I've lost the wine log I was keeping my notes in, and my memory isn't so great. But I did drink about 3 of the splits I bottled and it kept getting better. Now at an estimated 12-18 months since bottling, it's ready for sure.

Good info. I think its time in the barrel really added to the body. It's now bulk aging once again and will probably be bottled around June. So I guess one year mark will be bottling day. Hmm it seems so much more mature than that!

Latest posts

Back