Cellar Craft CC Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
My 6 month old Viognier is throwing some sediment in the bottle despite the fact that I followed instructions precisely. My advice, let these wines bulk age in the carboy for a few months before final racking and bottling.

The fines do not bother me, but it detracts its appearance and makes it less desirable as a gift.

This advice is good for almost all wines. If you have means to filter, you can get away with an early bottling, but if you don't you will sometimes get a dirty bottom of the bottle.

When did you start and when did you bottle time wise

And even if you let it bulk age for a long time, you may still need to filter. I made a 2000 Moscato from Peter Brehm grapes. I let it bulk age 2 years before bottling with several rackings and fining. After 6 more years of age, it has thrown sediment. But it tastes so good, so who cares.

The fines do not bother me, but it detracts its appearance and makes it less desirable as a gift.[/QUOTE]
Hey smoke, if it tastes good keep it! Make another to give away!

Yes, 8 years old and it did not taste over the hill. I try to stop drinking a particular wine when I get down to five bottles or so. Then it is one bottle per year on special occasions. I also built up a large supply back in my first few years of winemaking so I would properly age wines. And don't forget, I'm the guy who hates bottling, so most of my wines bulk age 1-2 yrs before bottling.

I guess Ill be like you soon as I have so many bottles and dont drink a heck of a lot so why should I be surprised, your just a few years a head of me!

As I noted in my initial post, I followed the kit instructions to the letter. The primary purpose of my post is to help others not make the same mistake.

As to filtration, I have a Minijet but I dread uncorking, filtering and rebottling solely for appearances sake. I will drink this one as is.

Thanks for the comments.

So other than the fact it is throwing sediment, how do you like the taste of the CC Viognier?

Viognier is my favorite white. Plus, I'd like to make some to blend with Syrah fora true Rhone blend. It looks like I'll have to add this to the lineup after my limited editions this year.

Smokegrub,

I started this kit last month and noticed that it came with supplemental directions and a second pouch of Kiesosol. The supplemental directions mentioned potential problems with clearing and recommended adding the second pouch of kiesosol if the wine fails to clear completely with the initial clarifier. Mine's been sitting on lees from the Super Kleer for several weeks now and still looks a bit cloudy in the better bottle. But I haven't had time to really look at a sample up close. Anyway, I suspect complaints such as yours caused CC to ammend their kit directions.

Can't wait to taste this one. My second white kit last year was a WE Viognier, and it's all gone!

Mine did not clear well and I ended up with some lees in the bottle. : (

Give it plenty of time.

Latest posts

Back