Cellar Craft CC Showcase Old Vine Zinfandel (with Enzyme Pack)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Started this bad boy on Friday 10/30/09 but couldn't post pics till tonight.

20091105_070430_DSC02309.jpg

This kit is only 2 months old from DOM so pretty darn fresh. It has the new enzyme pack which is supposed to fix some weird residue problems that have supposedly been found in other Showcase kits with grape packs. This is my 3rd CC Showcase kit with a grape pack and the first two didn't seem to have any problems but perhaps my eye is untrained still.

20091105_070514_DSC02310.jpg

Particulars are SG before grape pack = 1.090. SG after grape pack and lots of stirring was 1.106 so it did bump it up a bit. No Oak chips or cubes but rather 2 packs of different Oak saw dust of sorts. One Toasted and one untoasted (both american). I used a brew belt for the first couple of days until this guy took off on its own. Once the temp got up to 74 in Primary I began to unplug and let it do its thing. As it has dropped back down to 70 I hit it with the brew belt until we are back up to 74.

20091105_070548_DSC02316.jpg

SG after 4 days is down to 1.032. This will need to stay in Primary for 10-12 days until first racking and then the Enzyme is added after it is transferred into secondary. Bentonite is supposed to neutralize the Enzyme so all the gross lees must be racked off before addition.

This guy smelled good enough to drink right out of the bucket and even better now that he is fermenting away!
smiley20.gif

Anyone NOT seeing the images I posted? There seems to be some issues still with the image upload function.

I can see them and I am using firefox 3.0.15 on a windows vista pc
VC

I do not see your photos.
I am using Windows XP with old Explorer.

I don't see them.
I'm on Windows 7 X64, with Opera 10.

Just uploaded them again and the path has changed from the original. They seem to be showing up now.

Anyone else seeing pics, anyone , Buehler.......

I see them now. I started this same kit about 1 month ago and am in the carboy now. I did the 14 day schedule in the primary. Interestingly, my kit did not have the enzyme pack modification.

This guy is just about to move on to degas and fine this weekend. He spent 10 days in Primary before racking and the SG was .997. Enzyme was added per instructions.

20091117_185125_DSC02318.jpg

Here he is with all his siblings.....

20091117_185248_DSC02320.jpg

Nice work, Mike. My OVZ is still in secondary as well. I will be doing the same as you this weekend.
smiley1.gif

That desk is made of 1" MDF.

The legs are the same width as the top. There is a 1" x 12" piece of MDF running down the middle of the top to boot. I can push down on it with my hand and it doesn't even budge or creak at all. I think I am at the limits of my own comfort tho and will place the rest on the other sides.......

Just did the math there. 6 gallons x 8lbs per gallon = 48lb + the weight of the carboy (~20lbs). It may be holding closer to 500lbs!
smiley3.gif

ibglowin said:
Just did the math there. 6 gallons x 8lbs per gallon = 48lb + the weight of the carboy (~20lbs). It may be holding closer to 500lbs!
smiley3.gif

I used 8.345 lbs for the water. What I did not figure in was the weight of the carboys themselves. Whatever, that is a lot of weight and it sounds like your table is well constructed.

I have made this kit about two years ago. It is one of the best kits I have made to date. If you like Zin you will love this kit. It's the only kit I have made twice, in fact I have one I just started two days ago.

Latest posts

Back