Chilean Zin Juice Bucket Plan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
Adding to this chain, I picked up three buckets of Chilean juice from Estrella del sur. All have starting SH so 1.082 or 1.084. Every california bucket I have picked up was over 1.09.
Here are the stats, I am wondering if I need to adjust the TA:
Chardonnay:
TA 4.8, FSO2 32 ppm, ph 3.45 SG 1.082
Can sauv:
TA.84, PH 3.45 FSO2 32 ppm, 1.08
Riesling
T/A5, FSo2 623 and PH 3.45

how do these compare to yours

QuiQuog

Reaction score
I didn't test for any of those, and it wasn't disclosed on the bucket. Mine just had a mark on the checkbox that said Zinfandel. Did yours have a label with that info? It would have come in handy.

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
I didn't test for any of those, and it wasn't disclosed on the bucket. Mine just had a mark on the checkbox that said Zinfandel. Did yours have a label with that info? It would have come in handy.
No I tested all these myself last night. I do know the vendors so sulfite the must and balance the acidity but the TA levels and PH seem to be off from what’s recommended.

Reaction score
I bought 2 Chilean grape juice buckets. Both did not come with any information on PH, TA, or SG or SO2 info.

I did an internet search on who sold the juice to my LHBS (my buckets had a name on the them) and I emailed them to see if my calculations were somewhat in the ballpark. Surprisingly, they answered and my numbers were almost identical to theirs:

PH 3.47 Brix 21.5 and TA @5.8 Now I'm obviously not good with my math as I inverted the TA number and instead of 5.8% I got 4.2(ish)....so I added a little Tartaric Acid. I wish I hadn't done that, as I might have not added any, but we will see what happens. Coming up on a taste test soon.

After fermentation I had filled 2-6 gallon Carboys for clearing and Malolactic Fermentation and still had enough to fill 1-750ml wine bottle on each. I wanted to crack those wine bottles open soon to test them as it's been a month....but I knocked one off my storage shelf (4" drop to the floor) and it broke. Precious Cabernet Sauvignon lost. As I don't used oak barrels, I have told myself this was the angels share loss that oak vintners lose. It makes me feel better to tell myself that. Kinda. I still have the Malbec overfill.

In a week or so, I will rack/degass/stir in some Super-Kleer/add in some Kmeta/and a couple of ounces of oak cubes. Then let it sit.

Latest posts