carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer glass cause they are solid and I can move them around without the chance of squishing in the sides and having wine shoot up through the airlock and because I vacuum degas. They are heavier and break much easier though.

It used to be glass but anymore it doesn't really matter. If and when I buy more it will probably be a Better Bottle due to the price and weight. I don't use the racking stuff in them and just rack out of them like a glass carboy. They don't break as well. I finally broke my first glass carboy recently. Well actually the guy I brew with broke my carboy but it was my fault due to where I set it.

I use glass because I use a mightvac brake bleeder for degassing and I'm afraid it would suck in the walls of a plastic carboy.

I must admit that I haven't tried it with the better bottles so I don't know if the vacuum pulled would actually be enough to do anything serious.

In a word Monty- yes it would pull in the sides. I tried it for the heck of it a few weeks back to see where it would start to give. With less than 1inch of vacumn the sides puckered inwards so I abruptly stopped.

I just started wine making and use the Better Bottles. I degass with the mixter and vacuvin.So far it seems to work very well.

I like glass, but do not like the price they have risen to in the last year. Local shop was double for a three gal.

reagrding the higherprice issue we see on so many items.....i think they are in a 'lagging bubble', i could be wrong, but i think we are seeing many items are still in a high price mode due reflected from the previous high oil/transport/manufacturing factor. I also believe we are seeing that the price is still remaining high because of what retailers and wholesalers originally paid for many items that remain in their inventory.

If what I am speaking about has any merit, you should see prices drop item by item (depending on inventory) to reflect the new lower oil prices.

Back