Carboy Purchase Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluff

Reaction score
I need to purchase a few 5 & 6 gallon Italian glass carboys. I need to order these online. Please provide recommendations on websites where you have found good pricing and consistent quality. Thank you!!

That’s usually a purchase where it makes sense to do it in person because of shipping costs/issues. If you are near Northern Brewer, maybe there or check local wine/Homebrew shops.

Thanks! I do keep an eye on FB Market and Craigs List. However, right now I don’t have time to travel around for used… In this case I am looking for recommendations for online sources for new carboys. Specifically where members have found good deals on quality Italian carboys.
Were I you, I would look on Craig's List. I did a quick peek and, depending on how willing your are to travel, there are some really good deals in Wisconsin. Just search "Carboy" under items for sale.

Thanks! I do keep an eye on FB Market and Craigs List. However, right now I don’t have time to travel around for used… In this case I am looking for recommendations for online sources for new carboys. Specifically where members have found good deals on quality Italian carboys.
Got it. In your case, then, where you purchase will be a function on price plus delivery. Three vendors I would consider are Home Brew Ohio (who offer "free shipping," meaning shipping is included, on orders greater than $99.99), Label Peelers and Carolina Wine Supply. The pricing currently show on their sites are: HBO 5 gallon $60, 6 gallon $67 and 6.5 gallon $70; LP 5 gallon $47.24, 6 gallon $55.69 and 6.5 gallon $44.80 (?!); CWS 5 gallon $38.50, 6 gallon $47.50.

Cautions:
1. Check to see if these are indeed current prices.
2. You specified Italian carboys. Check to see where they are made before ordering. Not sure they are Italian.
3. They may be able to give you the shipping cost before you order.

Good luck.

Got it. In your case, then, where you purchase will be a function on price plus delivery. Three vendors I would consider are Home Brew Ohio (who offer "free shipping," meaning shipping is included, on orders greater than $99.99), Label Peelers and Carolina Wine Supply. The pricing currently show on their sites are: HBO 5 gallon $60, 6 gallon $67 and 6.5 gallon $70; LP 5 gallon $47.24, 6 gallon $55.69 and 6.5 gallon $44.80 (?!); CWS 5 gallon $38.50, 6 gallon $47.50.

Cautions:
2. You specified Italian carboys. Check to see where they are made before ordering. Not sure they are Italian.

Good luck.
Thanks again!

I have rid myself of glass and won't go back. I use Speidels, Fermonsters, and Better Bottles (which are only available used). Yes they cost more than glass, but they are light and don't break easily.

@sluff, I just found this site: TricorBraun | Stock, Custom & Wholesale Packaging Distributor
They are located in St. Louis, MO.

https://www.tricorbraun.com/6-gallon-glass-italian-carboy-30-mm-cork-neck-finish-clear.html
6 gallon Italian: $39.63
5 gallon Italian: $34.00 (currently out of stock)

No idea what shipping would be, but really good pricing for the carboys.
It is a great price. I just checked and ground delivery to Virginia is only $13.00 which is also a good shipping price, especially for glass.

I have numerous Italian and Mexican made carboys and I can’t tell the difference in quality. I will say that more modern ones seem to have more air inclusions that my older ones but they still serve their purpose well

Cautions:

Good luck.
I did check with Label Peelers and Matt confirmed that all their glass carboys come from Italy.

Rule of thumb is to try to buy them locally used. Usually as "wine making kit" for $50 - 400 with retail price usually in 3 - 4 times more. Thees "kits" come with carboys, fermenters, bungs, wine additions, measuring stuff, hoses, cork and corking stuff. I buy them when I see something interested and sell remaining items individually after. Not a huge profit, it takes time, occupy garage space, but makes my hobby almost free..

9 and 14 gallons demijohns are usually 40 - 60 dollars each
5, 6, 7 gallons carboys are usually 20 - 30 dollars each
3 gallons carboys are usually 25 - 35 dollars each
2.5 (very rare) gallons carboy (looks like 5 gallons carboy is split by half) are 30 - 60 dollars each.

I have numerous Italian and Mexican made carboys and I can’t tell the difference in quality. I will say that more modern ones seem to have more air inclusions that my older ones but they still serve their purpose well

This is a good time to bring back this video from a couple of years ago.

I need to purchase a few 5 & 6 gallon Italian glass carboys. I need to order these online. Please provide recommendations on websites where you have found good pricing and consistent quality. Thank you!!
It seems that the majority of carboy purchases are local /used. I have had good success with this - but there are times when carboys are needed and used ones are not available. Also - I don't have a wine making shop close by so I have to purchase over the web...

That being said - I recently tried to purchase 5 gallon and 6 gallon new Italian carboys. Results are not good:
- One cracked on the side - returned for a refund.
- One sold as new - but clearly used (debris inside).
- Two cracked on bottom - replacements in process...
I can't prove this - but I don't believe any of the cracked glass is from shipping damage - I think the vendors are sending out returns (maybe by mistake)... These are repudiable websites...

Latest posts

Back