carboy temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
Hello all I 6 batches I made 2---6 gal and 4--1 gal..My basement hovers around 54 degrees would it be ok to put the filled carboys in the basement at that temp? 2 of them are white (6 gal.) 2 reds 2 cranberry ( 1 gal.) thank you for your help

If they're done with primary/secondary fermentation and you're simply bulk aging the wines, you should be OK. If they're still fermenting, you'll want temps closer to 70-80F (depending on what you're fermenting...I think certain white wines are OK fermenting at lower temps).

You could buy a "Barn Heater". They are small thermostatically controlled heaters for just a small area. Cost is around $10. Just enough to raise the temp in a small area where you have your wine. Do you use strip thermometers on the side of your carboys?

I believe 54 is at the lower end for virtually any yeast variety but - As long as you don't have temps below the lower limits of your yeast you should be fine BUT don't try to start a fermentation at the lower end of any yeasts temperature limits. As stated whites are supposed to do better when fermented at lower temps.

My basement runs right around 55 also. I do heat things up for fermentation, but I don't worry about the temp for bulk aging. Reds and whites in all sizes from 1L jugs to 6 gal carboys seem to do fine at 55.

One thing to watch is the volume level in the carboys as the seasons change. Last winter I had to top everything up shortly after Thanksgiving and in the spring I had a couple carboys push wine back into the airlock. It's interesting to see the dynamic in the volume with a few degrees of temperature change. Be sure to monitor levels and make adjustments as the ambient temperature fluctuates.

Latest posts

Back