carboy covers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
quick and easycarboy cover... take an old t-shirt, snip the collar and thread a cord through the hole all the way around the neck. Then slip the t-shirt onto the carboy and draw the neck closed with the cord. I would take a pic of the one I made if I could find my camera.

I do sort of the same except I don't do anything to the shirt. I just throw it over the carboy. I bunch the fabric up at the neck and call it good. Never thought about running a string through the neck. Good idea though.

Smurfe

I just take the t-shirt by the collar, fold it over and put a clothes pin on it to hold the collar tight against the 'boy neck.

I just shut the light off...
smiley36.gif

ok, so maybe the cord is overkill
smiley17.gif

my wife was discussing howshe wouldsew one up and the t-shirt idea popped into my head and I ran with it.

It is a great idea sang and whatever works for you to keep the light away is the main thing.

yea the t-shirt part is, but I think I'll go with appleman's clothes pin modification rather than threading the cord!

Until my wife sews up some fancy ones of course. There's something in the joy of making your own thangs.
smiley20.gif

OK i figured out how to upload a picture but was unable to then insert dialog. Here is a easy carboy cover. If you look on the left you will see a rectangular piece of fabric that basically was folded in half and stitched along one edge. The botton edge was turned under and the top edge was folded and stitched to create a casting (something to hold in this case a draw string OR an elastic could have been used).

Easy....and it works. Waldo I like the one you located, it is more sculptured form fitting, less fabric... will give that one a go.

JC

Yes I do use airlocks, those carboys were not in use at the time, a situation which I have since corrected.
smiley36.gif
JC Edited by: jcnoren

Ok, thats great. I like the way the purple blends in to the comforter
or whatever that is behind it. Maybe someone should make these out of
camou so as that people do not see what we have going!
smiley15.gif
Stealth wine!

Under the blanket houses my primary pail with must in it and heater along side to keep it nice and warm. JC
20070114_175341_primary..jpg

You will note, I start my primary pail on the highest platform I have in this case an old filing cabinet. When it is time to move the wine from the primary to the secondary I place my carboy where the heater is on a(old dresser).When the secondary carboy needs to be transfered to another carboy, the next carboy is placed onto the inverted crock pot below the old dresser. I onlylift my must/wine once, to get itinto the primary. Iutilize gravity after that,no lifting easy on the back.

The food saver on the freezer is what I use to degass.

Not pretty but it works
smiley9.gif
JCEdited by: jcnoren

jcnoren said:
Easy....and it works.  Waldo I like the one you located, it is more sculptured form fitting, less fabric... will give that one a go.

JC

Actually the form fitting ones take up more fabric, you have to make two 'arc' shaped pieces to make the top part...a bit more tricky too....but they do look really nice.

I make mine like yours, quick and easy and they get the job done.

[/QUOTE]
Actually the form fitting ones take up more fabric, you have to make two 'arc' shaped pieces to make the top part...a bit more tricky too....but they do look really nice.

I make mine like yours, quick and easy and they get the job done.[/QUOTE]

2 "arc" shaped pieces hmmm. I don't bother to line my carboy covers.I notice that the onein ebay staes it is lined. Waldo, do you still need 2 arc shaped pieces if you don't line it? I am thinking that yep you still need to.JCEdited by: jcnoren

6023.png
6019.png
6027.png

Here are some that a local brewing supply catalog sell...they are about $20 US funds plus shipping...we know we can make them for a whole lot less than that.

I made mine with decorator fabric that a friend gave me, it was just a remnant, made as many as I could with that peice...The decorator fabrics are heavier, but think they will shrink...so I'll be needing some 3 and 5 gallon carboys after I wash them...I am a bad one for not washing fabric before I sew something...
smiley9.gif

As I don't wear tee shirts, it was a quick trip to the Family Dollar Store for me and $12.00 later my carboys are all cozy in their new Fruit of The Loom black tee shirts. Now all I have to do is find some clothes pins and I am done.....Thanks sang for the great tip
carboyst-shirted.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back