cant keep the wine warm enough for yeast to work

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew belt or a heating pad. A must have for year around wine making!

Oh and welcome to the forums!
smiley32.gif

Try and maintain somewhere in the 72-78 degree range while in active fermentation phase. When it gets closer to being done, keep it still around 70-74 degrees all the way through the degassing phase. Warm wine will release CO2 much easier than cold wine!

Place belt low to increase heat and raise it up on the bucket for a little lower heat. I have even placed two belts on a really cold bucket of juice i wanted to heat up to temp within 24 hrs.

kelley said:
thank you for the advice,I need all the help I can get

Kelley,

We were all in your situation once. That what is so great about this forum. Everyone is willing to help you. We are just one big happy family. Welcome aboard. If you have any questions about wine making, just ask. Someone will be able to help you.

I have several brew belts and they are essential for wine making in the winter time.

Robert

I have a brew belt on my primarynow. My basement is about65 degrees, should I put it on my glass carboy when I transfer ? Crack ??

ibglowin said:
Brew belt or a heating pad. A must have for year around wine making!

Oh and welcome to the forums!
smiley32.gif

Or just move to Florida - no brew belt needed
smiley20.gif
!

jerry said:
I have a brew belt on my primarynow. My basement is about65 degrees, should I put it on my glass carboy when I transfer ? Crack ??

Yes. The wine will already be close to temp so you are not heating up ice cold glass.

I have used the brew belt on glass carboys for many years with not 1 problem ever and I have a cold basement in New England with no heat down there. Just dont put a brew belt on a carboy that is colder then say 55* as the temp differential might crack it.

I cant wait for winter to start dry peach wine,some more dry blackberry wine,and maybe 1 0r 2 kits.

Uh oh might need another carboy.
smiley4.gif

I live down south but might get a heat belt for wierd cool nights

Just consider that once fermentation starts, you might be able to turn the brew belt off, as fermentation adds its own heat. Don't let it get too hot.

As Mike said, when fermentation slows the temperature will drop again. When it drops, turn the belt back on to keep temperature up, else fermentation might not finish in a timely manner (or at all, sometimes). You'll need 72 or higher to degas, anyway.

Just be sure and watch the temperature of your fermentation.

raise your bucket up off the floor w some blocks under...better yet..place on a table

I always place mine on the floor(concrete slab)and with the air on 69-70 it gets up to 78-80 at first then 72-76,I've gotten a little higher temperature on the table.I've had the air down to 64 and the temp on carboy was 77-78

In Texas, we have neither basements nor prolonged cold spells, and I have never had a problem with the ambient temperature being too cold. Too hot - yes, as it was over 100 for 18 days straight last month, and the A/C bill (keeping it down around 80) was killing me.
So is there a brew belt that will refrigerate a carboy?
smiley17.gif

I was thinking the same thing and I have a little fridge I bought 3 years ago and got plenty of use out of it.One day I notice the little metal rod inside it is what gets cold,so if I can take it all out without cutting anything.Then just connect it to carboy and see what happens.So it would be the compessor,thermostat,and cooling element

I really think that little metal rod is your thermostat. It isn't what makes your refrigerator cold. I would check to make sure before you cut the fridge apart.
Just my humble opinion!!
smiley2.gif

its whats cooling the fridge and its connected to the little freezer part and I have taken it of and plugged in and did temp readings

Latest posts

Back