Buy one get one free :-)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
So I went to a LHBS which I haven't been to in a while (they aren't the closest one to me) because I was in the area. They had a pile of wine kits that were buy one get one free! I've only done a few wine kits, so I don't have a lot of experience with them, but thought, "Why not?" The yeast in one of the kits expired 6 months ago, and the other one expired this month, so I am planning on throwing in a fresher packet of yeast than what they had.

Both are RJS and come with grape skins, one is a Cellar Classic Winery Series Grenache Syrah, the other is a CruSelect Okanagon Valley Red Meritage Cabernet Merlot. Both of them looked like decent kits, if not, then I have 12 gallons of top-off wine for $2 a bottle! :p

Sounds like a good deal if their normal price is good :)

Sarah, sounds like a great deal. Check the date codes on the kits. If they are old, be sure to give the juice a good sniff or taste. In all likelihood, the juice is fine and you are correct in using fresh yeast. I have not made the Winery Series Grenach Syrah but I have made a number of others from that series and I have always been more than pleased. I would imagine that the Cru Select (16 liters with a grape pack) would be a great kit also. I have never been disappointed in RJS kits. You might want to go back to the store for a couple more!

Those should both be excellent kits, assuming they are still viable - the meritage was an RQ from Spagnols a couple of years back and was popular enough to become a regular offering; I've made 3 of them now and some are approaching 2 years old and are a very good bordeaux.

Good for you. I did an old kit last year (free). I used fresh yeast. The juice had obvious old smell and was a bit brickish. It turned out okay. We drink it while waiting on better wine to mature. I do not top up with it. I'll bet yours will be great if the juice smells good. I knew the moment I opened the bag of juice that something was wrong. Come to find out mine had been stured in a hot warehouse.

The juice seemed fine, no strange smells, they are both happily bubbling away now. The color, smell and taste all look fine, everything in the boxes all seemed to be well sealed up still. We'll see how it all pans out in the end.

Sarah! You are always finding great deals! Will you go shopping with me? :p

Latest posts

Back