Bug in my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassidy

Junior
Reaction score
So my MM wine has been sitting in the carboy for 7 days after Ive added the siligel and liquigel fining agents. I went down to check on it today and see a dead bug which looks like a spider stuck on the inside of the carboy. It's looking kind of gross. I have no idea how it got in there because Ive been very clean.
Has this happened to anyone? Should I be worried?The wine smells ok. I plan on racking it off but I need another carboy and the wine story here isnt open till tuesday. Should I rack into myfermenter right away, clean my carboy, and transfer back? I dont want to introduce to much O2.
Cassidy

If its in the wine I would be inclined to get it out. If its on the side up out of the wine I would attempt to get it out if I could, if you can't and its not in the wine, I think it would be ok to wait till the wine has cleared and your ready to rack.
I don't think it will ruin the wine either way but you will always be thinking about the spider every time you have a bottle of this wine probably!

My spidy senses are tingling!!!! No problem either way. Do you really think when wineries harvest all their grapes and process them a lot of bugs dont end up in between the clusters? Just a little added protein.

I think I would try to pull it out - I would be afraid that if I left it too long it would dissolve and disintegrate into the wine and then I would be thinking about it for sure whenever I drank any of the wine

smiley2.gif
HAY a good fruit fly a spider,its all good the alcohol should take care of the rest,imagine how the spider felt,reload and be merry...
smiley36.gif

Back