Brianna

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was just rinsing some bottles and I think, depending on what is going on this weekend, I may bottle my Brianna that has been sitting in the carboy since this time last year. I'll have to give it a taste and see where it's at SG wise. I believe I originally only sweetened it to 1.002 or 1.004. It wasn't real sweet.

It's a white wine. Rob from Iowa was kind enough to provide us with the Juice last year when DJRockinSteve went out to assit with the harvest. Early sampling was very promising.

WHAT TYPE OF WINE IS THIS?:b
Rob could probably give you a better description than I but it is a cold hardy grape that was developed recently. It has characteristics of a reisling but not exactly a reisling.

Brianna is one of Elmer Swenson's varieties he developed about 20-25 years ago but has not been extensively planted yet. It is a very cold hardy grape, a white as Julie says and has smallish size clusters of good sized grapes. The wine exhibits a lot of pineapple flavors and esters. We blented the Brianna and also ES-6-16-30 (Adalmiina)this year with an early harvest of St Pepin, also from Elmer and the mixture is astounding!

Actually, Grapeman, I remember you talking about the St. Pepin and I am very interest in that. Do you know if anyone is selling that juice?

Julie, I don't know of anyone selling St Pepin in this area yet. It has not been grown a lot yet because it gets a bad rap of being pistillate or in other words all female instead of the normal hermaphroditic. It is seen therefore as having low set and yields. I have not seen that here as many flowers are complete and it pollinates fine. I get some of my highest yields out of that variety and have been increasing the acreage in recent years. Right now I can't get enough of it and have sold out of it for this year. I had expected a ton or so out of that vineyard block and only saved about 200 pounds from the bees and squirrels. I'm glad I have more of it to harvest that is still there.

Rich, can I buy the vines somewhere? I would be willing to plant some vines to give me a 5g batch of wine each year.

Thanks, Mike and I decided to start a very small vineyard of the PA wines that we like instead of having a vegetable garden. I think we need to add the St. Pepin.

I am definitely going to plant Brianna in my vineyard. It's becoming one of my favorite cold hardy white varieties. And it SURVIVES our winters. :)

Well, I backsweetened the Brianna earlier in the week from 1.002 to 1.006. It's perfect IMHO at this level. I bottled today and I'm enjoying what did not fit in a bottle as we speak. Will take the edge off the meetings that are planned for this evening. LOL

Femt

The Brianna looks very nice, how many bottles did you end up with?

Femt

The Brianna looks very nice, how many bottles did you end up with?

Rob,

From a bucket I ended up with 23 - 750ml bottles and 4 - 375ml bottles. I would have had more but along the way we managed to sample away our 1/2 gallon container that was aging as well.

LOL, I didn't put capsules on mine, I wasn't planning on sharing, I have no idea when I would get another batch.

Who said I plan on sharing, I was trying to decide which one looked the best, I think we'll go with the green capsule.

Julie,

Let's work on that for next year

Thanks Rob that sounds like a good idea!

I would definately be interested in this for next year. Keep us in mind, I'd be willing to come our for a weekend to help harvest. It would be alot of work but I think it would be fun work.

Back