Brew Belt Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
So I have my brew belt around my strawberry wine to help keep it warm. WhenI went to check on it last night before bed, the belt was VERY HOT! I couldn't keep my hand on the ends of the belt for more then a couple seconds without being burned. So I unplugged it and about a minute later the belt cooled down enough and I was able to move it off of the primary. Whats going on with this?

Scuba

Did you have it on plastic or glass? I think those are to be used on glass. Not sure though. I don't have one.

I used it on a 2 gal plastic bucket, but before this I was using it on the 7.9 plastic primary with no problem.

Scuba

I have 1 that gets that warm and another that doesnt. What it is is that the wires beneath this insulated sheathing is probably bound up a little so I wrapped a little electrical tape around the area that got that hot, that was 1 year ago and havent had a problem with it. Only use electrical tape as it is designed to take heat of electrical wires.

I think it was the size of the bucket. I don't think they are made for the small buckets, but I will check it out, tomorrow.

I recall seeing last year (I believe on the www.winepress.usforum) someone utilizing a brew belt in a figure 8 shape around two different buckets. One bucket was filled with water and the other had the must in it. The reason behind this was to keep the Brew Belt heating the same amount of surface area compared to volume as is experience with a 7.9 gal fermenter when smaller fermenters are needed. I haven't been able to find a picture of this, but it may help the heat issue.

- Jim

I kinda did that but with a towel. I just bunched up a towel and put it inbetween the belt and the bucket to keep it tight.

Scuba

Back