Boy, have I got gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinDawg

Reaction score
smiley35.gif

I mixed niagara grape concentrate with strawberry puree', water, sugar, yeast and let it ferment for about 2 weeks and racked it off. I let it sit for about 10 days and added potassium meta, and sorbate stirred with drill real well. let sit for a day and added simple syrup for sweetness stirred again and let sit for a week. It cleared up quite a bit and I racked it again to get rid of the sediment and that's when I noticed it was carbonating slowly. I quickly added some more pot. met and stirred, hoping to stop any fermentation, no such luck. It is now perking again like I just started it and I am afraid to add anymore pot meta. What can I do? am I stuck with a dry wine? Will this happen again if I try to sweeten it when it stops?

What was the SG when you added the k-meta and sorbate the 1st time? Was the SG stable for more then a few days? These are key factors in knowing when to proceed to the next step.

the sg was 1.028 when I racked to the secondary, then when I added the chems it was .989 for about 5 days

If you have the ability to cold stabilize i would by putting it outside or in a freezer, Try to get the temp down to around 30 and rack off all sediment and try adding the k-meta again or just let her finish up. Do you know what the sg was after adding the sweetener back and what was the starting sg when you started this batch so we can figure out where you are abv wise.

I believe I mentioned earlier you need to stop the fermentation, either from cold or let it go dry before adding anything to sweeten. Once stopped, you need the k-meta and potassium sorbate-in that order. Once stabilized, then you sweeten.

smiley20.gif
let nature take it's course,leave it alone,keep an eye on it and let it set,in two weeks stir the mix up ,let it set ,2 weeks later check to see if any fermentation is happing,stri it again and let it set ,its not going anyplace,if all's well hit it with supper-kleer and sorbate call 8it a day===

" Boy, have I got gas"

I don't think that's something you should share in mixed company!</font>
smiley4.gif
</font>

smiley4.gif

" Boy, have I got gas"

I don't think that's something you should share in mixed company!</font>
smiley4.gif

T figured on more comments about the title, lol. But, seriuosly, I am going to check my vinometer right now and be back with my alcohol content. I did not check the SG when I sweetened it, I just added simple syrup till it tasted good.
</font>

According to the great an ever so wonderful vinometer, that thing is a pain in th A$$, my abv is somewhere in the neighborhood of 16%, give or take 4%. The tertiary fermentation also seems to have slowed quite a bit. I also tasted what wine I removed for my multiple vinometer tests, btw anyone looking for a slightly used agrivating piece of glass? The wine is fairly dry again and I'd say closer to 20% than 10% abv.

Latest posts

Back