Bottling Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodi Wino

Reaction score
From when I sanitzie my bottles to when I actually fill them, how long do I have? And if I am using a Sodium Meta bath to sanitize do I need to rinse them with anything esle before filling? Thanks

I don't rinse my bottles after sanitizing them, I'm not sure how long you have I normally make it my first step, I'm not sure if you can do them the night before or not, I've thought about it though, I'll be looking for others answers. Thanks for asking at 1am, I was bored!!

No rinsing is necessary Lodi but I would not wait much more than an hour after sanitizing before filling.

I ve heard 4 hours is the alotted time that k-meta will work. after
that its properties break down and the risk of bacteria increases! I do
not not rinse either unless Im making a sparkling wine.

Ok, I've just heard people say you've got to work pretty quickly...Just wasn't sure what that meant.....so after I sanitze them, no rinse needed - just fill'er up......thanks again

Lodi: I sanitize, and then put them on the bottle tree. rarely do they sit longer than an hour...

I have filled hundreds of bottles that were sanitized and placed on a bottle tree for ~24 hrs without issues...but do agree that limiting the time is best for the maximum protection.

With the batch that I bottled 2 weekends ago I was afraid that I didn't wait long enough. The bottles were still damp inside from the Na-meta. I heard they needed to dry but within an hour of starting to sanitize I was filling and corking. Those bottle trees work great and can see anyone trying to make wine with out one!

I usually wash, rinse, sanitze, place on bottle tree, and then get everything else ready and bottle.

I wish I could find the article I read a while back about sanitizing. It was referring to carboys but it said after you sanitize the carboy keep it upside down and you will be good. It talked about the airborne bacteria and stated that they fell "down". It also said that if you sanitize a carboy and it would be over an hour till use to place a sanitized cover over the opening until ready to use.

When I sanitize my bottles I keep them on the bottle tree until ready for use. I normally use them in less than an hour though. I have left them overnight though if I had numerous batches to do though. I wouldn't worry about not waiting for the bottles to drain enough before use either. I have pulled them out of a sink full of sanitizer, drain the bottle, gave it a shake and filled it up and corked it. Just a little extra sulfite to protect the wine. It won't hurt anything as kit wines have much less sulfite's than commercial wines do.

Smurfe

I agree, Im usually a last minute guy and the bottles are usually still dripping when I use them.

Watched some friends and friends of friends doing some serious bottling today...now they were using new bottles just out of the box.....no sanitizing just shooting in gas to expell the oxygen and then went right to bottling....any thoughts on that?

I dont know about the not sanitizing them part even though they are new! I would definetely sanitize them !

Don't worry, If not sanitizing was a mistake you will only loose the entire batch. Nothing else will happen.

The main guy in charge of this operation had an interesting theory. Bottles are shipped clean from the manufctr-upside down. Any airborne dust nastys would be at a minimum and of no consequence because of the acidity and ph of the wine - anything once bottled would shortly die....I personally being a little more anal in my approach to hygiene would probable santitize and then inject the argon and then bottle.......

Simple answer MHarris - No. Argon isn't necessary. In fact I doubt if you will find a home winemaker using it! Sanitize with K-Meta or Na-Meta, let drain and bottle.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but are you suppose to fill the bottles with K-Meta to sanitize? I have a spray bottle and after cleaning and rinsing, I just pumped a few squirts into the bottle and let them sit for 30 minutes or so. Is this enough protection or should I be filling each bottle with K-meta?

GrapeApe.

I am just now getting into it, and went to witness a local group here that has been doing it for a long time as a club on a LARGE scale. I will not use Argon for the small scale that I am doing or will do, rinse with the Na-Meta solution in a large bucket let drain and bottle is going to be my approach here in a few weeks

Latest posts

Back