Mosti Mondiale Bottling Day for MM AJ Pinot Noir!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bottling day finally for the MM AJ Pinot Noir I started 7 months ago!
smiley32.gif

This was my second attempt at bottling this guy. The first time I stirred up some fine sediment off the bottom and sides when I added my K-Meta dose and I plugged 2 Vinbrite filters within 15min each time. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and it filtered just perfectly. ~ 1 hour start to finish. Free SO2 was measured at 40ppm. The left over glass was good but not what I would call outstanding at the moment. You can tell the underlying delicate Pinot Noir structure is there. Very subtle hints of ripe cherry and plum with just a hint of vanilla. Smoooth soft tannins. I am very glad I didn't add any more oak as the oak was perfect. Anymore would have been a mistake in my opinion. The one thing I am noticing on these MM AJ kits is that they seem to be much more GREEN at the same amount of bulk aging time than the other kits I have made (CC Showcase, MM Renaissance) It really looks like these AJ kits will take a minimum of 18 months and more than likely 2 years to come into their own. That said, you really need some patience with these AJ kits but you will be rewarded in the end with a very high quality product, if you can wait for it to come around.

Bottled my usual 2 splits for tasting down the road. The flash has washed out the color on the labels. The background in reality is black. The other interesting side note is that this was my second time using the gold shrink caps and both times the shrink has turned out all wrinkled. Once using boiling water and this time using a heat gun. I have only seen this on the gold caps and not on any other color. Weird but repeatable.

Pictures after the break as they say!

20100625_155923_DSC02611.jpg

20100625_155937_DSC02614.jpg

20100625_155953_DSC02620.jpg

20100625_160006_DSC02617.jpg

I love the labels! I find that using steam is best for the shrink wraps- I tried the boiling water dipping thing and it didn't work for me.

That Pinot Noir looks great! You should have a nice pipeline going very soon!
smiley2.gif

I use these guys.

Not cheap but nice labels and you can mock them up and even download the label as PDF and play with it in other programs. I make my carboy labels and split labels using the PDF and MS Word label template.

Goodfella said:
What program and label paper are you using Mike?

ibglowin, try using a heat gun and a chopstick.
smiley36.gif
I hold the shrink wrap down with the chopstick on top, then use the heat gun pointing it on top of the bottle, then give the bottle a little spin to get it all even. Works like a charm.
smiley4.gif

Thanks guys,

I used a heat gun on this batch. Heat gun is my preferred method these days. It just seems to be the gold shrink caps, all the others have been fine. They just do not shrink evenly anywhere top to bottom. Kinda weird. I think I have used every other color of cap and only the gold ones have done this to me. Their OK, just not quite up to snuff with the others!

uavwmn said:
ibglowin, try using a heat gun and a chopstick.  
smiley36.gif
I hold the shrink wrap down with the chopstick on top, then use the heat gun pointing it on top of the bottle, then give the bottle a little spin to get it all even.  Works like a charm.  
smiley4.gif

Looks good.
I have to agree on those gold shrink caps.
Being new to this hobby I've only bottled three batches now and the shrink caps all came out fine, but they weren't the gold ones.
Yesterday I bottled a CC Yakima Valley Syrah and used gold shrinks - they didn't come out nearly as nice as the others.
I used the boiling pot method for all of them.
I'll try the heat gun method next - I'll be bottling a MM Zin in August.

Another vote for using a heat gun. I have used a hair dryer in the past but the heat gun is much faster and better.

Just today, I bottled my Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Rojo Grande and used the gold topped shrink caps that are included with the kit. Most of the gold tops fell off, I guess I will continue to use my black shrink caps that I purchased from George, they work much better.

Latest posts

Back