Bottleing Blackberry merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
I have an orchard breezin Blackberry merlot coming to bottle time , What type of bottle would be best to use for this wine, clear , green , brown , etc.

Jeff

I asked that same question a few months ago. Basically the answer I got was there is not hard & fast rule as to bottle colors. If using a clear bottle, keep it out of direct sunlight.

1. Whatever color you like
  2. Or, whatever color you have

I don't think it makes any practical difference.

I agree also, use whatever you would like. I you are using a clear or frosted bottle I would keep out of direct sunlight till it is consumed. I always thought that reads should go into green bottles and whites in clear to show of their clarity. I does not matter as long as you like it.

Dave

Since this is an "early drinker" and probably won't have to withstand the test of time, I would use clear bottles to show off the beautiful color. Just my opinion.

Do you have a big enough inventory of bottles to choose 30 bottles of your choice all the same color? If so try to pick a color bottle to go with the label your making up to put on it.

Kind of what I do. I always try to use 30 of the same type and try to keep any quick drinkers in the lighter bottles. I usually try to use the appropriate bottle also so Bordeux type bottle would fit better with this wine.

I don't think it matters, all preference. Myself I drank my first batch of wine in a month so the way I go through it I am not really worried about it lol.

IMHO, if you are storing your wine in direct sun, you have much bigger problems than the color of the bottles.

I generally try to use clear bottles for my fruit & white wines, And save the green & brown for Reds. I have yet to make any Reds but im tryin to build up a supply so ill have them when my grapes are ready (still 2 yrs to go on the reds, should have some whites next yr though!) I like how the clear bottles show off the colors & clarity.

Latest posts

Back