Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have a recipe
smiley4.gif

So I called this wine store near I live and asked them if they had winemaking supplies. They said yes, they were a full service wine making shop. So I head out there today to get some yeast, and in this huge wine store they have literally 1 shelf of winemaking equipment. No yeast, no chemicals, basically nothing. I was like wow, that was a waste of time. I just ended up ordering the yeast offline. Hope it gets here by Sunday.

Scuba

Did you ask them if they had any yeast as they probably have that stored in a fridge where it should be but a lot of places dont because if people dont see them they figure they dont have it so they keep it out on a shelf which diminishes the shelf life of this product same as pectic enzyme.

Scubaman2151 said:
I dont have a recipe
smiley4.gif

So I called this wine store near I live and asked them if they had winemaking supplies. They said yes, they were a full service wine making shop. So I head out there today to get some yeast, and in this huge wine store they have literally 1 shelf of winemaking equipment. No yeast, no chemicals, basically nothing.
Scuba
smiley36.gif
Full service wine making shop indeed! I'm sorry, but I got a good laugh at your expense.
smiley18.gif

Well I finally started my blueberry wine this morning. It was about 1.5 gal and the starting SG was 1.34 so I added about 1lb of light brown sugar bring the starting SG up to 1.74. I added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and 1 tsp yeast nutrient. I let it cool then tossed the Montrachet yeast.

I also racked my Red Zin, I used Mondavi Red Zin to top up with. The Mondavi tasted pretty good and there was some oak already in there so I think it should blend pretty well.

That all sound good Scuba. Low SG of the juice- can't be it was really sweet. Good luck with it.

Has your snow melted yet? You must be anxious to prune your vines and get going.

In my opinion that is either a little low if you meant 1.074 or WAYYYYYY to high if you wrote it right and it most likely will never start fermenting. If 1.074 is actually your SSG then you might want to bring it up a little if you want it to last a little while. I would bring it up to 1.085 if it were me.

Since Scuba added 1 pound of brown sugar, he certainly means 1.074, which I think is just about right for the style wine he wants. A nice blueberry flavor in a low alcohol wine, but higher than an Island Mist type. They are generally about 1.065 if you make as they come- and they keep just fine for a year.

I think you are good to go Scuba.

smiley29.gif
Yep I meant to put 1.074. I just checked on it, there is a little bit of foam type material on top of the juice but thats about it.

Funny you should say that appleman, check out my post in the vineyard section im giving a update there.

Scuba

Well the blueberry wine is coming along. Although its kinda weird how fizzey it is. There is a lot of foam on top of the must before I stir it, then once I do stir it that kicks up even more foam. Ill post some pics shortly. I cant get accurate SG reading becuase the must is somehow thick. I put the juice into the wine thief and I drop the hydrometer in and it doesnt sink or float, it just stays wherever it stopped. If I move the hydrometer is just stays where I moved it and doesnt read anything. There is also a bunch of foam in the wine thief.

Thick???

Have had fizz keep the hydrometer from sinking...Give it a spin.

Show us those pictures.

I did spin it to no avail.

Heres the pics:

blueberrywine.jpg

I froze the juice so it wouldnt go bad on me, this is the jucie defrosting.

blueberrywine1.jpg

Tossed the yeast^.

blueberrywine4.jpg

This is what it looks like in the morning before I stir it^.

blueberrywine3.jpg

This is what it looks like after I stir^.Edited by: Scubaman2151

I think it looks very nice indeed. I was confused at first with the picture of the juice in the plastic bottles...
smiley5.gif
I got it figured out now...

Scoob
I've hears from a couple of local vinyards here that Blueberry and black berry act similarly and my Blackberry pushed out a ton of CO2 and the first batch I didn't pay much attention to. The second batch though, I stirred a lot more and even lightly shook from time to time.
The more you agitate the must, the faster the release will take place.

WARNING!!!

Agitating the must too quickly, too long will result in a volcanic erruption of wine from your carboy.

My advice here is use numerous,short bursts from your electric drill and paddle or stay with the nylon spoon.

Latest posts

Back