Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice handy. I racked this into a 1 gal carboy yesterday and there was a lot of head space but I am not to worried about it becuase the c02 should keep it safe untill the next racking.

blueberryrack1.jpg

After I racked^. I know its low but I get the wine into the jar before fermentation was over so the c02 should keep it safe.

Scuba

Keep agitating the must to release the co2 and I agree, you'll be fine.
I did the same thing on my Apricot and had no troubles thus far.

Looks real good Scoob

Yep, thats what I did after I racked. I shook the jar for a few minutes while watching the airlockbubble to make sure it had filled up with c02.

Ok so I checked out this blueberry wine this morning and the airlock is doing somthing strange. The wine seems to be sucking the water back towards the must as if it wants to suck the water into the jug. Why is it doing this?

Your wine has finished fermenting so no poititve displacement and at the same time you have very low air pressure, causing the water to go back towards the wine. If you are worried about it, pop the airlock and place back on. It will let the pressure equalize.

Like Appleman said, also temp changes can do this to, like any materials, wine will contract and expand causing the airlock to fluctuate.

its just funny becuase only the blueberry wine is doing that, the strawberry wine didnt. That could be though becuase I didnt top up the blueberry.

I dont know, I dont really have anything to top up with besides marbles and that will take a lot of marbles. I might just drink this one early and call it a day.

it looks as if you started this bluberry around the beginning of March.
Having racked from primary to secondary, usually you want to rack again within two to three weeks.
Doing that will delete what ever protective CO2 you have developed and leave you wine open to nasties.
You can add sterile marbles in any quantity to raise the volume and diminish the air above your wine or you can top off with some type of liquid (water, bluberry juice, grape juice etc) to accomplish the same thing.
Since I assume that youll eventually want to raise the sugar level by backsweetening at some time, now might be a good time to do that.
Adding sugar will increase your volue as well.

Youmight consider racking your wine to another carboy, sweetening and then leaving it to age several months in the carboy too.

Just food for thought.

Latest posts

Back