Blueberry Wine and Malo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote Creek

Junior
Reaction score
I have a blueberry wine that has been bulk aging now for about 3 months maybe right at 4. Today I noticed that the bubbler was bubbling every so often and I uncovered the carboy and it has tiny bubbles that line the upper outer portions of the wine in the carboy. I am new to wine making and I think this a Malo? This wine has been dry like I said for a few months and I was just about to sweeten a little and bottle in a few weeks so this is why I even noticed it bubbling again. I was in there fixing to add the K-meta and K-sorbate and let set a few weeks before sweeting?

Do I let it finish doing its thing or go a head and add chemicals? The only thing I can think of is that since this wine is in my office covered up and it has been cooler outside and the central heat has been running a good bit that maybe it started Malo?

thanks,
clark

It likely is a wild malo going on. Chances are good you let the S02 level get too low for protection and with the warmer temps it started up. I would add sulfites back in and see if it will quit. Either way, wait until the bubbles stop, check the S02 levels and the bottle when clear (rack also if needed).

Sure, Malo bacteria only have one function, to turn malic acid into lactic acid.
Do not use any form of sorbate in a malolactic-fermented wine. In the event of renewed malolactic fermentation, sorbate will produce geraniol, an unpleasant geranium-like odor.</font></span>

my blueberry has been bubbling ever so slowly in the airlock after stabilizing with sorbate and KMET and thenbacksweetening with a littlegrape concentrate. It's slow but consistent. I'm thinking the sorbate has expired or it's just a combination of fizzinessdue tosome bacteria or CO2. Today's SGwas .990 with a very slight sweetness. I'm just going to wait it out for another couple of months before bottling. I would go ahead and stabilize, sweeten and age another 2 - 3 months before bottling.

Ok, this link this is still screwed up!!!!! ERRRRRRRRR George sells Lysozyme which is under "Sulfites" in the "Wine Ingredients area" and this will hinder or block MLF.
Maybe this link will work? 7356A

So I don't need to add the sorbate along with the K-Meta and then backsweeten? I just need to K-Meta and then backsweeten a bit and let sit a few weeks to make sure no more type fermentation takes place and then bottle.

thanks,

cc

NO. If you had malo going on you cannot add sorbate, but then you cannot sweeten or it will ferment that sugar out and if corked will blow the bottles. If Lysozyme is added, it will interfere with mlf, but you could then add sorbate and sweeten. Ideally the lysozyme would be added to prevent mlf in the first place to wines you want to ensure don't go through mlf.

This is why it is so important to keep S02 levels proper especially on wines that you dont want going through Malolactic fermentation.

Latest posts

Back