Quantcast

Blender for cherry mead

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

bluedart

Reaction score
I would like to make some cherry mead and would like to know if I can blend the cherries before starting for ease of getting them out of the carboy.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
Yes you could.
They should be pitted if blended since the seeds contain cyanide. A guess on my part is that reducing the particle size will make cleaning harder. A siphon should work well pulling wine out of the cherries.
Process wise I would be tempted to run pressed juice and if I wanted to extract more flavor, take the pulp and steep it with 1 to 1 water/ pulp in the fridge, then repress pulp and combine this with the initial batch.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
How about a mesh bag for the cherries and a bucket or a corny keg as a primary? I've added canned cherries to a carboy of beer without a lot of trouble removing the cherries at the end of fermentation.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Look at Rubbermaid Brute trash cans. The ones I have are food grade and are commonly used for primary fermentation. I use 32 gallon Brutes for grape fermentation (can easily hold 6 to 8 lugs each), but for smaller batches I'm going to buy 10-12 gallon models. I find the 7 to 8 gallon primary fermenters commonly available are a bit small for some applications.

Latest posts