bleach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwheel

Reaction score
is there drawbacks to using bleach? i soak my bottles in it then i put em in a steam unit for 10 min?

I think that most agree that the biggest thing against bleach is having to rinse to be certain there is no bleach getting into your wine. Then you have to be certain the water you rinse with doesn't have anything to spoil your wine.
Personally, I use a little of both. K-meta when I have it on hand and bleach when I don't.

Youd better make sure you get all the bleach out as bleach and corks equals cork taint!

Just mak sure you follow the recommended ratio of bleach to
Water for sanitation. It's typically 10 parts water to 1 part bleach. Chlorox recommends that for childrens toys. Soak in bleach water bath rinse with clean h20 and air dry ive done that with many thinks all is well

thanks, my 1st two batches of wine were muscadine and all liked and wanted more and i did not have a problem. i got some c brite at the brew store try to final rinse things and bottles. got a wine press that every body can relate to. will show every body this weekend.goin out get my frozen batch of scuppernongs out...more pictures later:br

Youd better make sure you get all the bleach out as bleach and corks equals cork taint!

Yup, TCA is a real problem for which there is no fix. Just 3 parts per Trillion can leave your wine smelling and tasting like damp newspaper. If you are thinking of using bleach, DON'T! Go with some sort of Oxy cleaner instead.

If you have already used bleach, Then I would advise that you find another place to store your corks (sealed and as far from bleach as possible).

TCA forms when three elements come together. Mold, Chlorine, and Pheonals (chemicals found in fire retardants and wood preservatives), can combine to form TCA compounds. If you have no pheonals, or any population of mold in the vacinity of your wine, then you may not have much to worry about.

Even though the odds are that you do not have any potential problem, you need to remember that TCA only needs to exist in the smallest, most minute amounts to have a very drastic effect on your wine. It is better to be safe than sorry. Avoid the bleach!.

Second that!! That is why a lot of us don't use a bleach base cleaner. I use dawn dish soap to clean the bottles and sanitize with a k-meta solution.

Latest posts

Back