Who is using Oxiclean?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using the pink TSP and bleach powder, and in a thread about cork taint I was dismissive enough to know that if I don't change my ways Murphy is gonna come knocking at some point.

Just wondering of any here that use it, what are your ratio's, and contact time? Any comments or suggestions to offer?

Thanks!

I have used it since 2009. I only use it to soak bottles and soften labels in a deep wash tub. If I find stuck solids I will use a bottle brush. If the bottle was basically clean but with a peel off label its an easy soak and then peel followed by a rinse with a bottle blaster with hot water. Hang them up to dry on a bottle tree and then they get hit with sulfite right before I put them in line to be filled with whatever I am bottling.

Oxiclean Free is the bomb. It's an incredibly useful chemical for cleaning wine related containers. It's even better if you mix in TSP90 (which isn't TSP) at about 20%. But for lifting biofilms and similar, it is unequaled. PBW is even better but it's the same chemistry and more expensive.

@CDrew - how much per gallon do you use. I currently use EasyClean at 1tbsp per gallon. OxyClean is definitely cheaper.

Edit - In error I said EasyClean was cheaper, it's the opposite OxyClean is cheaper

Last edited:
I use Oxiclean Free (green top) for cleaning primary mostly. About 2 tbsp and a 1/2 gallon of warm water, paper towel couple of minutes. Sometimes for rinsing carboys too. Works very well.

I use Oxyclean for everything:
  • soaking bottles
  • airlocks and stoppers -- helps avoid occurrences of black mold
  • rack solution from carboy to carboy, which cleans the tubing and the carboys
  • gets into any scratches inside primary fermenters, removing anything in there
  • ensures carboys are clean
I use Barrel OxyFresh to soak my barrels between wines.

Amounts? For bottle soaking, I use a half scoop in a full sink, probably several gallons. For other uses, probably a full scoop for 2 gallons. I don't measure.

I also use OxyClean Free to clean everything. From what I understand it is basically the same formulation as PBW, so why wouldn't I use it?

Back when the wine club I belong to used to run a competition, all glasses were cleaned using oxyclean free as well. Worked better than anything else at not leaving things behind.

I've used oxyclean green for about 4 years for cleaning everything, especially bottles. At bottling time I put in a scoop in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water, soak and wash my used bottles, rinse, and sanitize with starsan. After I finish bottling I use the same oxyclean solution from the same bucket to wash my carboy, hoses, syphon, etc. I've never had a problem. Previously I used PBW but it became too expensive and hard to get locally.

OxyClean free is all I use for cleaning. 1/2 -1 scoop per 5 gallon bucket. Wonderful for everything but will really dry out and crack your skin on your hands. I use gloves if I’m using it for lots of clean or label stripping. It will strip the plastic in a bucket (making it rough) if you let it sit longer than 6-8 hours.

Wow, Somehow I never got a single notification from this thread. I came back expecting to ask, Really, no one?

I have been using PBW to clean and the pink to sanitize. Anyone using Oxiclean as the last step, or always following with Starsan?

Starsan isn't available locally and it's 3 times the price on Amazon. Wanna see me get stuck on principal? Charge double what the next guy does!

From what I understand it is basically the same formulation as PBW, so why wouldn't I use it?
I thought PBW was lye based and oxiclean used the magic of O2 as the cleaning agent?

Some good ideas here (though I've never used PBW or Oxiclean...) - I have hard water and never thought about adding EDTA. Maybe I'll get a small bottle and try adding it to my StarSan solutions.
Hard water won't affect oxyclean. However it will affect starsan. In hard water it will turn milky almost right away. I need to use distilled water to mix with starsan. Not too much of a hassle since the solution keeps almost forever in a sealed bucket.

Latest posts

Back