No action after yeast.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrlaplante

Junior
Reaction score
Started a batch of cherry wine, 15% possible content. Added energizer, Camden tabs, pectin,tanin,acid blend. Waited 24 hours, added 71B after adding to heated water and waiting 15 min then incorporate must to within 10 degrees. After 24 hours I have Zero action. 75 degree temp. Any ideas?

Started a batch of cherry wine, 15% possible content. Added energizer, Camden tabs, pectin,tanin,acid blend. Waited 24 hours, added 71B after adding to heated water and waiting 15 min then incorporate must to within 10 degrees. After 24 hours I have Zero action. 75 degree temp. Any ideas?
Two possibilities...

If these are sour cherries, they may not require any acid. If the pH is below 3.0 (if I remember) then the yeast may have a hard time starting. You also did not mention the starting gravity (SG).

A yeast starter is highly recommended. It enables the yeast colony to greatly multiply before being thrown into the hostile environment of low pH or high sugar.

So...
Do you have pH strips and can measure pH? If not then taste, is it mouth puckering?
Do you have a hydrometer to measure the SG?

If it were mine I would make a yeast starter with another packet of yeast right now, add 1 TBS of sugar, and 1 tsp of Go-Ferment. If the wine shows no sign of starting, then take your yeast starter, tomorrow, and add it to the wine. So to be clear, a yeast starter works best when it has 12-24 hours to work. That’s why you start it now, then decide 24 hours from now if your wine has started or not and add it then.

Two possibilities...

If these are sour cherries, they may not require any acid. If the pH is below 3.0 (if I remember) then the yeast may have a hard time starting. You also did not mention the starting gravity (SG).

A yeast starter is highly recommended. It enables the yeast colony to greatly multiply before being thrown into the hostile environment of low pH or high sugar.

So...
Do you have pH strips and can measure pH? If not then taste, is it mouth puckering?
Do you have a hydrometer to measure the SG?

If it were mine I would make a yeast starter with another packet of yeast right now, add 1 TBS of sugar, and 1 tsp of Go-Ferment. If the wine shows no sign of starting, then take your yeast starter, tomorrow, and add it to the wine. So to be clear, a yeast starter works best when it has 12-24 hours to work. That’s why you start it now, then decide 24 hours from now if your wine has started or not and add it then.
1.060 or 15% suger. I don't have any go ferment or ph strips. If it does not start by tomorrow should I just try another packet of 71B? Thanks

1.060 or 15% suger. I don't have any go ferment or ph strips. If it does not start by tomorrow should I just try another packet of 71B? Thanks
Ok, so high sugar SG is not an issue.

Here’s the risk as I see it. If the pH is too low, your next 71b packet might fail as well. Make a yeast starter with 1 cup of water and 1 TBS of sugar, I microwave that solution until boiling, let it cool to whatever temperature it says on the yeast packet, then add the 71b, cover with a loose paper towel, or something similar, do not cover so tight that oxygen can’t get in.

If by chance you also have a packet of EC1118 yeast, you may be able to get this yeast to ferment even with low pH conditions.

Thanks for the help. My mentor said the it mat take another day to start. He uses 71B a lot.

And that’s the risk with not using a yeast starter. Your must has nearly 2 days of no alcohol production, no CO2 production, and a high sugar environment that bacteria is more than happy to grow in. When using a well prepared yeast starter, and good pH and sugar levels, your ferment should be noticeably going strong within hours, not days.

I agree, I'd check that pH. That would tell a lot.

Also, 15% sugar doesn't equate to 15% ABV. Yeast will use the sugar to almost make equal amounts of alcohol and CO2, so you're looking at a final ABV around 7%ish.

And nutrient and energizer are different. Nutrient is generally preferred at the start.

Yeast sprinkled on the must can take up to 72 hours to start. In the last few years I've been making starters and can often smell fermentation within 6-12 hours even if I see no obvious activity for 24 hours.

What size is the batch and how much of each item did you add?

How much did you heat the water? Some yeast are fine up to 110 F, but I never go over 98 F to be safe, targeting 95 F for the starter.

Congrats!

In the future, make a starter as it will help ensure a rapid start to fermentation. It will also reduce your stress level when fermentation doesn't start as expected. My method for doing it is here.

Wine is the result of multiple natural processes. You might make 100 batches that all ferment out about the same ... but #101 will do something different and you'll never determine why. Most of the time things go smoothly and as planned .. but sometimes Mother Nature and Dionysus will mess with us. ;)

I posted this video before. It will help you understand the importance of a starter. You don’t need a stir plate a whisk will do just fine. Although a stir plate is another toy that’s nice to own.

Latest posts

Back