Blackberry juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We get about a gallon of juice from 10 pounds of frozen berries. Do not forget to add pectinase, some people say to add 50% more than normal and your wine will clear. Steaming blackberries is a lot of work, hot juice and steam, have to clean stuff, PIA really anymore. We have just been freezing as we pick, then thaw and crush them in a grape crusher, add pectinase and KM overnight and then press, lots of juice, you can add some water back to the skins, let it soak a little, mix it up good and press again. 100% blackberry wine can be made, its going to be a little acidic, if its to much acid some people add potassium carbonate or just dilute it until they get a good TA.

It is certainly easy either way to deal with just the juice and not all that pulp, sometimes we let it ferment on the pulp 3 days and then press, more like straining it thru a paint strainer bag and squeezing it.

Oak in blackberry is very good, so is honey, and honey and oak is even better together.

WVMJ

hey mountainjack, your talking pectin enzime as pectinase,correct.
i am going to press 100 lbs tommorow to make a large batch ..
your method of adding pectin, and km overnight is a sound idea, let the pectin brake down the fruit, the km keep it from spoiling....press again.
after the pectin has broken the fruit down you get more juice...
i will do that..... good info...thanks.

hey mountainjack, your talking pectin enzime as pectinase,correct.
i am going to press 100 lbs tommorow to make a large batch ..
your method of adding pectin, and km overnight is a sound idea, let the pectin brake down the fruit, the km keep it from spoiling....press again.
after the pectin has broken the fruit down you get more juice...
i will do that..... good info...thanks.

James be very careful when noting to use pectin when you mean pectic enzyme/pectinase. There are many new winemakers, with no experience with fruit and its makeup, whom have literally added pectin instead of the enzyme. They thought they were one and the same.

James, crush once, add pectinase and KM, then press. If we can add pectinase to your vocabulary all that much better :):) WVMJ

Hey, I found my old (first) book on wine making. Written by an englishman, C.J.J.Berry. Supposedly one of Englands best at that time. The recipe I used called for 3 lbs of berries per gallon of wine. I remember this wine having a very good and strong flavor. So, if I used SBWs information and do a little tweeking on the numbers to bring them up to 15 lbs for 5 gallon, it would seem to me that two gallons of pure juice would make a very good five gallon batch wine. I tried drinking a little of the straight blackberry juice and it was too thick for my taste. Any thoughts?

Jerry1, not sure what you are drinking but the juice from homewinery.com is concentrated and 1/2 gallon makes 5 gallons of wine. What I do is put the juice in the bucket, add 4 gallons water, add sugar to proper SG, then finish filling to 5 gallon mark ( if necessary).

Hey, I found my old (first) book on wine making. Written by an englishman, C.J.J.Berry. Supposedly one of Englands best at that time. The recipe I used called for 3 lbs of berries per gallon of wine. I remember this wine having a very good and strong flavor. So, if I used SBWs information and do a little tweeking on the numbers to bring them up to 15 lbs for 5 gallon, it would seem to me that two gallons of pure juice would make a very good five gallon batch wine. I tried drinking a little of the straight blackberry juice and it was too thick for my taste. Any thoughts?

Sorry but 3# per gallon is not going to give you a strong flavor. Drinking the juice as it is will not give you the correct comparison for when it is wine. What you are drinking right now was a whole lot of sugar and that sugar is going to become alcohol and the only sugar you will be tasting in the end is what you decide to put in.

I am not telling you to go straight juice if you are leery about that but do at least 5# per gallon.

Latest posts

Back