Big Reds and Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in canada, just checked there website, they only ship US.

Last edited:
We used a blend of D80 and D254 (separate bins then blended) on our 2015 Barbera and the results were spectacular. Double Gold and Best of Class at the last CA State Fair. I got this idea of D80 and D254 from Tony on here. He did the same the year prior and got a Double Gold on his Zin. Those 2 yeast varieties play very well together.

All that being said, we switched to Renaissance Avante. This yeast will not produce any H2S. Even if you don't detect H2S, it's completing eliminating it and all the "masking" the H2S may be doing to your wine. We've used it for 2 seasons so far and we love it!

The D254/D80 combo is written up in a few places as being a darn good one. Haven't tried the Avante yet, but I'm very curious.

I bought that Andante after hearing about it by @4score. (Lodi labs had a sale all yeast 8g packs for $1)
The renaissance website is really awesome and user friendly too.
Unfortunately the batch I was going to use the Avante yeast on had taken off with wild yeast. I still added it. But will never be sure which yeast went to work the rest of the way.
Aside from the andante/Avante strain they also have another non h2s yeast for big reds, "machimio" or something. But i think the Avante was way more tolerant all around.

I bought that Andante after hearing about it by @4score. (Lodi labs had a sale all yeast 8g packs for $1)
The renaissance website is really awesome and user friendly too.
Unfortunately the batch I was going to use the Avante yeast on had taken off with wild yeast. I still added it. But will never be sure which yeast went to work the rest of the way.
Aside from the andante/Avante strain they also have another non h2s yeast for big reds, "machimio" or something. But i think the Avante was way more tolerant all around.

A friend used Avante and was trying to stop a ferment as he was making a port. He added the brandy and the damn Avante kept chugging right through it! I know they say this yeast is tolerant of high alcohol, but this was crazy! They did a lot of cross breeding at UC Davis to make this stuff like a gladiator, but also refined with some of the best qualities of other yeast.

A friend used Avante and was trying to stop a ferment as he was making a port. He added the brandy and the damn Avante kept chugging right through it! I know they say this yeast is tolerant of high alcohol, but this was crazy! They did a lot of cross breeding at UC Davis to make this stuff like a gladiator, but also refined with some of the best qualities of other yeast.

From experience with both D254/D80 and Avante, what we're the big differences are what are you using this year? Thanks :)

plash racking,
From experience with both D254/D80 and Avante, what we're the big differences are what are you using this year? Thanks :)

Good question and one I have been asking myself over the last few months. D254/D80 was used to make arguably the best wine I've ever done - Double Gold and Best of Class Barbera at the CA State Fair. That being said, in my climate (Sierra Foothills) I am always battling high temps and I can easily exceed the max temps of these two strains. Then there's the whole process of fermanting in two separate batches with twice the effort of feeding and punching. Finally, we battled H2S....and I mean it was a war! Splash racking, Redulees, copper,... Then we found Avante. Avante is a solid yeast with incredible tolerance to high temps AND high alcohol levels. Best of all, absolutely impossible to have H2S with this yeast. I thought about going back to D254/D80, but for me, I just can't do the war anymore. I would still chance it if I thought the Avante wasn't expressive enough....but it is very expressive. Maybe it's not over-the-top like the other combo, but that's why I've elected to go with Avante PLUS Prelude. Prelude is another story.

4Score, We had the best Vintage in 20 year of making wine using the split batch of D80/D254, We ended up with 450 bottles of Old Vine Zin, 160 Bottles of Cab and we blended 100 bottles of Zin/Cab, Best wine hands down everyone was blown away how good all 3 came out.
This year were looking at upping the production by18% to 100 Gallons Old Vine Zin and 60 gallons of Sangiovese Bruello Lanza. We did have to battle with temp and we cooled down the must with frozen gallon water jugs, we had zero H2S maybe we got lucky, I saw you post about Avante I'm thinking about trying it but had some concerns about how expressive last years wine and I certainly want to repeat it. I talked to the guys at Lodi labs and they mentioned if I keep up with the nutrients and temp I would mhard to beat the results we got with the D80/D254 combination.You are happy with your results with Avante and Prelude, What is your process with Prelude?. I have never heard of Prelude.
I certainly don't want to have to deal with H2S, the process was to keep the yeast going with proper nutrition and maintain the temp below 85-90 we were good.

Last edited:
Nice to hear your experiences with the d254/d80 combo, I’m planning that this year for my Cab and Avante for a Malbec. Did you pitch MLF cultures in your Zin last year?

4Score, We had the best Vintage in 20 year of making wine using the split batch of D80/D254, We ended up with 450 bottles of Old Vine Zin, 160 Bottles of Cab and we blended 100 bottles of Zin/Cab, Best wine hands down everyone was blown away how good all 3 came out.
This year were looking at upping the production by18% to 100 Gallons Old Vine Zin and 60 gallons of Sangiovese Bruello Lanza. We did have to battle with temp and we cooled down the must with frozen gallon water jugs, we had zero H2S maybe we got lucky, I saw you post about Avante I'm thinking about trying it but had some concerns about how expressive last years wine and I certainly want to repeat it. I talked to the guys at Lodi labs and they mentioned if I keep up with the nutrients and temp I would mhard to beat the results we got with the D80/D254 combination.You are happy with your results with Avante and Prelude, What is your process with Prelude?. I have never heard of Prelude.
I certainly don't want to have to deal with H2S, the process was to keep the yeast going with proper nutrition and maintain the temp below 85-90 we were good.

Prelude is a non-saccharomyces yeast used to start the fermentation. You let it consume a few brix of your juice, then add your traditional saccharomyces yeast to finish up the fermentation. We let it go 2-4 brix last season with great results. This year we'll try going a little deeper with Prelude before switching to Avante. The Prelude definitely adds to the mouthfeel and complexity of the wine. Good luck with this season!

Nice to hear your experiences with the d254/d80 combo, I’m planning that this year for my Cab and Avante for a Malbec. Did you pitch MLF cultures in your Zin last year?
Yes I did, I used CH16 I have used this for several seasons completed in about 2 weeks let it rest for another 6 weeks before so2 dose.

Prelude is a non-saccharomyces yeast used to start the fermentation. You let it consume a few brix of your juice, then add your traditional saccharomyces yeast to finish up the fermentation. We let it go 2-4 brix last season with great results. This year we'll try going a little deeper with Prelude before switching to Avante. The Prelude definitely adds to the mouthfeel and complexity of the wine. Good luck with this season!
Thanks 4score.

Back