Big Reds and Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally like Red Star Premier Rouge but beware: it foams a great deal for about the first three days.

BM 45 D254 RC212
if you can ferment a batch of the same varietal with different yeast then blend together to create complexity and layer flavors

THAT is a brilliant idea I've not thought of.
I think I'm going to have to try it. :b

BM 45 D254 RC212
if you can ferment a batch of the same varietal with different yeast then blend together to create complexity and layer flavors

I like that idea, Im getting my foch grapes this weekend im going to ferment two batches side by side, one with rc212 and the other with bm4x4 ill do some blending with some of it.

BM4x4 last year on my Cab/Merlot/Sangiovese turned out nice.

This year I will be using 2 yeasts separately, then blend after. BM4x4 and K1 V1116.

BM4X4, D254, RC212, RP15

It depends on the varietal, and what I hope to highlight.

I'm currently fermenting a Zin with RP 15, first time for me. Also currently fermenting a Cab/Merlot field blend with D254

Depends on what you want to bring out. But it can be used on a lot of reds. Syrah comes to mind for me.

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/...sionGUID=ee43d1ec-51d2-8536-343a-8646a4a96bd5

For me it's basically impossible to tell what differences the yeast is making without a direct side by side comparison.
This season I went through tons of yeasts and came up with a small list of possibilities. But in the end i didn't want to go with anything that was too needy-- needy in terms of anything other than the standard goferm-Ferm K that I'm now accustomed to.
Was Syrah the varietal that you used RP15 on?

Thanks for all your reply's, love the input here.
I have been using mostly RC212 never had issues also used Redstar Pastur Red with good results.
I have been thinking about changing it up for next year. I really like the idea of splitting up the batch with 2 different yeasts.
I do want to highlight the Old Vine Zin flavor made 60 gallons of Zins would like to break it up 30 & 30 and blend after the press.
So many good options with all your experiences. Thanks again....
Just added ML today and Oak

P1060211.jpg

Last edited:
We used a blend of D80 and D254 (separate bins then blended) on our 2015 Barbera and the results were spectacular. Double Gold and Best of Class at the last CA State Fair. I got this idea of D80 and D254 from Tony on here. He did the same the year prior and got a Double Gold on his Zin. Those 2 yeast varieties play very well together.

All that being said, we switched to Renaissance Avante. This yeast will not produce any H2S. Even if you don't detect H2S, it's completing eliminating it and all the "masking" the H2S may be doing to your wine. We've used it for 2 seasons so far and we love it!

We used a blend of D80 and D254 (separate bins then blended) on our 2015 Barbera and the results were spectacular. Double Gold and Best of Class at the last CA State Fair. I got this idea of D80 and D254 from Tony on here. He did the same the year prior and got a Double Gold on his Zin. Those 2 yeast varieties play very well together.

All that being said, we switched to Renaissance Avante. This yeast will not produce any H2S. Even if you don't detect H2S, it's completing eliminating it and all the "masking" the H2S may be doing to your wine. We've used it for 2 seasons so far and we love it!

I just read up on this h2s eliminating yeast and im intrigued, i checked my supplier and they carry it in 500g packs which is decently priced but maybe a bit wasteful as i wont use this much in one season. Is there anyways to store yeast or just toss it and buy new next year?

Latest posts

Back