RJ Spagnols best amarone kit you recommend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
there are a lot of Amarone kits out there and I would like making a a high:HB end kit and a inexpensive kit.
So here is the obvious question?
Which Amarone kit that you made came out the best(after two years of aging or close to it)I suppose:? also a low end kit I can tweak it(joe made one that looks quite interesting) while a high end kit , I probably should leave alone.
1. The best kit you ever made(probably high end)
2..the best low end kit that you found reasonable.

I hope a get a lot of suggestions:h:h:h:h:h
Corinth

So far we've purchased four, made three, and bottled two. The two we have bottled are WE Selection International w/skins and the CC Showcase w/skins. Out of those two the CC wins by a significant margin. I wouldn't do the WE SI again without making a bunch of tweaks, it definitely needs help.
The third one we've made is RJ's WS, but it's still bulk aging.
The fourth one is on order, it's the Meglioli Amarosso.

Amarone the king of italian reds

if cost is no object then get the WINEXPERT top of the line kit if cost is a factor then get the WINEXPERTS SELECTIONS SERIES either way you my friend caN make a good wine out of either,that's a fact.

there are a lot of Amarone kits out there and I would like making a a high:HB end kit and a inexpensive kit.
So here is the obvious question?
Which Amarone kit that you made came out the best(after two years of aging or close to it)I suppose:? also a low end kit I can tweak it(joe made one that looks quite interesting) while a high end kit , I probably should leave alone.
1. The best kit you ever made(probably high end)
2..the best low end kit that you found reasonable.

I hope a get a lot of suggestions:h:h:h:h:h
Corinth

My favorite high end Amarone is CC Showcase. After 12-18 mo, it is excellent. At 3 years it is pure ambrosia.

The low end kit would be the Vinifera Noble Amaroso. I add raisins and tannin to the primary and tannin to the secondary and give it 9-12 months. It is quite enjoyable. Closer to a valpolicella ripassa than an amarone but highly enjoyable.

I have followed a similar thought process to you. I have made 3 in toto. The third batch of any wine I ever made was a CC Showcase Amarone, and I made no tweaks. It is now just over 2 years old, and is quite enjoyable.

More recently, I made two Amarone kits back to back. One of them was another CC Showcase, to which I made few tweaks, and the other was a (well, I wouldn't call it low-end) WE Selection International, and I tweaked it a la Joeswine.

For the second CC Showcase, the only tweaks were that I used BM45 yeast, and 8 g of FT Tannin Rouge. For the WE SI, I also used BM45. I also added 20 oz of Zante Currants, and 14 g FT Tannin Rouge. These are about a year old, so I have not really done a taste test yet.

You make wine in a DOG?..... :?

Ha ha, very funny. It took me a while to realize you (a) were talking to me, and (b) were not making a reference to denominazione origine garantie (although I guess it is DOC or DOCG, but never DOG).

Anyway, the worst part about making wine in Toto is that he is only a 1 gallon container. It would be much more efficient to make wine in Rin-tin-tin. Just about the same amount of work, but you get much more wine. Later, I hope to move to the big leagues, and start making wine in Scooby-Doo. I am afraid, however, that I will never move up to JohnT's scale of operation (who makes wine in Clifford, the Big Red Dog).

Winexpert limited edition Eclipse Forza

Winexpert limited edition Eclipse Forza is in the Amarone style, a blend of Corvina, Sangiovese and Barbera grapes. Started my first kit yesterday. I comes with juice, grape skins, 2 packs of yeast, oak shavings and oak cubes. Too bad I have to wait 12+ months before I can taste the wine.

Winexpert limited edition Eclipse Forza is in the Amarone style, a blend of Corvina, Sangiovese and Barbera grapes. Started my first kit yesterday. I comes with juice, grape skins, 2 packs of yeast, oak shavings and oak cubes. Too bad I have to wait 12+ months before I can taste the wine.

you can taste it any time you like, too bad it won't really be ready for 18+, but as is typical of the Eclipse line, it will probably be really good. :db

I've only made one, but am very pleased with it so far. I will say though, that at 2.5 years of age, it is still 'coming around'. Very good now, but definitely still improving. It is the RJS En Primeur.

All I could think about was poor, poor Toto being used against his will as a fermentation vessel in some crazy bio-pysics experiment gone wrong…..

toto-lookalike.jpg

Ha ha, very funny. It took me a while to realize you (a) were talking to me, and (b) were not making a reference to denominazione origine garantie (although I guess it is DOC or DOCG, but never DOG).

Anyway, the worst part about making wine in Toto is that he is only a 1 gallon container. It would be much more efficient to make wine in Rin-tin-tin. Just about the same amount of work, but you get much more wine. Later, I hope to move to the big leagues, and start making wine in Scooby-Doo. I am afraid, however, that I will never move up to JohnT's scale of operation (who makes wine in Clifford, the Big Red Dog).

It may be worth pointing out that, although Corvina is indeed the principal grape in Amarone, neither Sangiovese nor Barbera are used in that wine. Amarone is from the Veneto region. Neither Sangiovese nor Barbera are among the top 7 varietals grown in the Veneto. Sangiovese is widely grown, but it mostly in Tuscany. Barbera is mostly grown in Piedmont.

corinth

here is my version, with a little work you can make a good wine....:HB

Amarone by the glass.jpg

Amarone final pic (1).jpg

Amarone Box.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

dextrose pics (1).jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

It may be worth pointing out that, although Corvina is indeed the principal grape in Amarone, neither Sangiovese nor Barbera are used in that wine. Amarone is from the Veneto region. Neither Sangiovese nor Barbera are among the top 7 varietals grown in the Veneto. Sangiovese is widely grown, but it mostly in Tuscany. Barbera is mostly grown in Piedmont.

This begs a question I've been asking myself for some time (my Forza is hit 0.991 SG last night and will move to clearing this weekend, btw)... What is it, if not an Amarone? A Super-Duper-TuscVenPiedmont??:?

best Amarone one year later???????

Hi all,
It has been a good year since I first posted the question, I was wondering what insights you now have. Jeard about CC showcase and WE international and a few others. I know it is a matter of taste but also wondering if you have added any tweaks

sincerely, Corinth:h

Back