Be careful with potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbwii

Reaction score
OK so I just got a package that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. It contains a bunch of wine making ingredient but I noticed that all of the packets were a mess. After examining each I discovered that the Potassium Sorbate package was leaking, so I cleaned them all up and put the Pot Sorb in a zip lock bag. Then it hit me :slp Customs must have thought it was cocaine and so they slit the package to test it. WOW! the least they could've done was tape it back up right?

That very well could be. I'm not certain where you are from but you could likely purchase required chemicals from the country you live in to avoid customs digging into your shipment

nbwii, Are you sure it was the Customs people? Rodents really like the stuff. Could it be your supplier has a problem. I keep my K-sorbate in a Tuperware container. Just a thought.

Actually I just realized it was the pectic enzyme not the Sorbate.

Rocky, it seems like a nice neat slit, not rodent bites. I like the tupperware idea. I had transferred everything to ziplock bags, but I think I like the tupperware idea better. Thanks for that.

Tyrone, I'm in the Bahamas so my options are very limited.

Hey Doug, it was you that sent the stuff LOL. Now we've both made it to the watch list. :r

Maybe I need to send a few bottles down to Customs when they're ready so they can see what I've been up to. But then they'll get on trying to bribe an officer. DARN can't win!

Well if they had tried the old lick the finger and taste it or lets have a sniff test and it had been k-meta, they woulda been in for a hellova suprise. LOL, Arne.

Wow I would say that your problem is a good problem to have, in order to live in the Bahamas.

I have to admit I am mildly jealous!

I admit it has its moments, have you ever been here?

I actually have a cousin who moved up there (London, Ontario) a couple of years ago with her family. They are loving it. I have been promising to come up to visit but haven't been able to make it happen yet.

Well if you ever need pectic enzyme in the Bahamas you can use green guava rinds, those bad boys are loaded with it. Any commercial winemakers on island you can befriend?

Well if you ever need pectic enzyme in the Bahamas you can use green guava rinds, those bad boys are loaded with it. Any commercial winemakers on island you can befriend?

Really??? good to know. There are no commercial winemakers here, I don't know if there are any home winemakers either. I would love to find some as I think it would make it easier and less expensive to order stuff together. I have been talking the hobby up to friends trying to get them interested. No takers yet. Hopefully once I have produced a decent wine for them to sample they may buy into it.

Hey Doug, it was you that sent the stuff LOL. Now we've both made it to the watch list. :r

Maybe I need to send a few bottles down to Customs when they're ready so they can see what I've been up to. But then they'll get on trying to bribe an officer. DARN can't win!

LOL, I think I'm on a few watch lists now.:i

Back