Bananas!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affe

Wine Noob
Reaction score
So I've been fermenting some concord grape juice for about a week now.

I read in the concentrated juice recipe forum that adding a ripe banana per gallon of juice can help with flavor and haze prevention. Someone who had said they had done just that also remarked that the banana's were "nearly gone" by the end of the primary fermentation.

Going with a "why the hell not" mentality, I tossed in one ripe banana (smashed of course) when I put this primary fermentation together.

Now, since I'm not using fruit or anything, I went with a carboy for this process. This has apparently proven to be a mistake in conjunction with the banana -- each day I fight the best I can to push the banana's down below the fluid level. Each day, they are not only difficult to push down, but they rise right back into place.

This has sparked some paranoia on my part -- I've been very keen to smell the mixture and haven't sensed any kind of nail polish smell (leading me to believe my wine is still in good condition). While I may not have any bacteria feeding on my bananas, I'm unsure if the yeast have been either -- it seems most of the banana material is still there (though candied and currently looking like a mashed up raspberry).

While the thought of having to filter this doesn't bother me, I'm afraid that I may have possibly ruined this batch with that banana? How much of an issue will it be, as I believe the amount of O2 that it actually comes in contact with is minimal.

Any suggestions are warmly welcomed -- though I'm hoping to hear "you're good, just be patient."

You're good, just be patient.

Actually, I have no clue, but I thought that you seem like a nice guy so I thought I would provide you with your wish.

I do hope you'll get an answer you like shortly. :D

You're good, just be patient.

Actually, I have no clue, but I thought that you seem like a nice guy so I thought I would provide you with your wish.

I do hope you'll get an answer you like shortly. :D

Lol, thank you for that initial assurance, and that laugh shortly after :D

Last edited:
Have you taken an sg reading, how long has this been fermenting, The banana is used to give your wine a little more body. As long as you keep punching it down you should be all right when your sg gets down to 1.010 you can rack it off the banana

Dont worry have a glass of wine.

It is fermenting right? What is the gravity now.

Starting SG was high, at 1.110. It's currently 1.080, and seems to be fermenting well. It's been about a week since fermentation began.

Thanks for your input :D

next time try making a banana 'gravy' rather than adding the actual fruit. Works a treat. I use banana gravy in most of my brews!

next time try making a banana 'gravy' rather than adding the actual fruit. Works a treat. I use banana gravy in most of my brews!

WaWa,
Been a long time hearing from ya. How u doing..

I'm doin great! You're right it has been a while. I just seem to have been too busy to cruise around on here but I have continued to make wine!!! Tamarillo at the mo. It's winter here and things slow to ferment!!
I had a house guest for a couple of months and he drank most of my supplies!! At least he must've liked them LOL

Latest posts

Back