RJ Spagnols Banana Pineapple Viognier Experiment Underway!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Mike - bench test. Really don't think the brandy will give you much except for alcohol. I would consider the bottle of Viognier first or even just some plain rum if the coconut rum route is not what you want.

I agree on the bottle of viognier. Regardless of all else, I HAVE to try the coconut rum. It just sounds too good to pass up.
Thanks.

I finally got around to putting the labels on this baby. Well the half I bottled.

20100318_151840_DSCN5726_Deskto.JPG

The pic did not come out as clear as I would like but I think I posted the label earlier. Mike please take notice of the closure and keep in mind this is the stabilized half with the added coconut rum. The sparkling half will be in the proper bottle with the proper closure....... When ever we finally get around to playing with it!

We did start out with screw caps, but drifted to corks because for the home wine maker the right equipment needed to really protect your wine using screw caps is just out of our price range. And I feel more comfortable using corks especially since I make a lot of meads that need longer aging. The screw caps do work and I have discovered a few of mine that are at least 3 or 4 years old.
I should perhaps taste a few .................

appleman said:
Do I spot a bar in the background?

Let us know how those 3 and 4 year old wines taste in the screwcaps.

That would be Lucy http://forum.finevinewines.com//forum_posts.asp?TID=9050
The bar is almost finished. We had to take a break and replace some plants and other necessary things in the front of the house so work has stopped for a couple of weeks. We hope to have the bar, bar stools and another bookcase completed before our oldest son graduates this May.

Been busy this weekend but we did manage to get the 2nd half of this little experiment bottled. Labels will be put on in a couple of days and I even plan on using the Champagne Foils for the tops. Lots of different style bottles but they were all free and I even have enough for my sparkling maple mead.

20100411_165718_DSCN5759_Deskto.JPG

20100411_165551_DSCN5757_Deskto.JPG

wade said:
Ohhh, sparkling maple mead just sounds fantastic!

I haven't tasted it for a while since meads take so long and can be rough. It was sweetened with pure maple syrup and it was really nice at that time. I still think its a couple of years away so this will do nicely while I'm waiting.

I am very disappointed in the way my banana pineapple viognier turned out. I am not sure I will even share it at my summer parties as I had intended.

In all honesty, the problems with the outcome are my own. I bumped the alcohol up to about 10.5%, which was not a problem. I added 1/4 of the F pack during fermentation, which resulted in my having to back-sweeten with additional sugar. When I added part of the F pack up front, I figure that in addition to loosing sweetness, I lost pineapple and banana flavoring.

It has very little banana or pineapple taste. I even added a 750 ML bottle of pineapple wine to it but it didn't make much difference.

It just tastes like a cheap wine to me. If I do serve it, I'll likely have some pineapple juice, maybe some pureed bananas, and a pineapple wedge to add in.

Early on I thought about adding the coconut rum, but I don't much like to serve the hard stuff at my parties... just my own preference, that's all.

If I ever make this kit again, I'll still bump the alcohol level, but I won't add any of the F pack during fermentation.

Live and learn...

I checked out a bottle of banana liquor, but I didn't buy it. I have already bottled this wine (well actually, I bagged it). If I do server it, I am thinking about having a bottle of the banana liquor there, if anyone wants to add a little. I believe they sell a pineapple liquor, also. I just don't want the alcohol level to get too high.

It's just that before it's over, this stuff could be something Dr, Frankenstein might want to use in his experiments.
smiley11.gif

Sometimes we all tend to play a bit too much. I have a couple I wish I had stopped a bit earlier, but 1 in particular makes a wonderful mulled wine, not my intent but it works. Another trick is to make sangria from others that just don't stand well on their own. Here is a web site with lots of possibilities http://www.wineintro.com/sangria/
I was very pleased with how terrific this came out, with no bumping up the alcohol. Yes I know I added a bottle of coconut rum to 3 gallons of this but but up to that point I just followed the directions.
We had an unexpected crown of hungry college students last night so we elected not to open any of the sparkling wine since a couple were under age and its easier to just serve ice tea. Oh well perhaps tonight we open a bottle.

Thanks VCassey,

I'll take a look see and maybe modify the banana pineapple V into a sangria.

Today I'll be taking my OB Sangria with Seville Oranges out of the fermentation bucket. I have high hopes for it. I'll bag it, also for parties in June.

Back