RJ Spagnols Banana Pineapple Viognier Experiment Underway!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
A cool surprise - Hubby went to visit out LHBS and picked up my next project. So this morning I went to work. Now the kit is mixed up and I have all the supplies to play just a bit. The game plan is to ferment per instructions, so no upping the alcohol. Once the kit is complete I'll pour a bottle of coconut rum into a 3 gallon carboy and fill the rest with the BPV. The remaining will be racked into a keg, force carbed, and then bottle in sparkling wine bottles. Don't know which half I am looking the most forward to the coconut rum half or the sparkling wine half. Either way I plan to do something unusual for me and not let it age too long, I actually plan on bottling all of this by May - Honest!

Let us know how this "playing just a bit" goes. Isn't this whole wine making process fun!!! I am new to it, and having a ball. Wish I had started sooner.

I am very interested in making this same kit soon. Would like to have it ready for summer.

I never thought of blending the BPV with something like coconut rum. To tell the truth, I have never heard of coconut rum, but it does sound good.

This baby has been at 998 for 3 days now so it was time to finish up. I racked this into another bucket to add the rest of the ingredients as well as degas and then racked this into a 6 1/2 gallon carboy because I wanted to keep everything together. There is more head space then I like but since it will not be in there more then a week or 2 and that will certainly push me to keep an eye on it. Did get to taste (bottom of the bucket) and this is certainly very good on its own and really good with a bit of the coconut rum.
The sediment is really dropping out of this like crazy right now and compacting rather nicely! It's already much clearer and this pic was taken an hour ago.

20100225_124512_DSCN5704_Deskto.JPG

Sure does sound good

Are you going to rack to smaller carboy in a week or two after clearing?

Once cleared I'll rack half into a 3 gallon carboy on top of the coconut rum and the rest into a keg to force carb and bottle as sparkling. And we'll most likely filter into each so it looks really nice. If we decide to filter its gonna stay right where it is cause I can't lift it and hubby wants the space for a beer he is brewing this weekend. Thank goodness I remembered to buy filters for the mini-jet!

Vcasey,
I started this same kit two days ago. It is fizzing really well.
Wanted to ask you, at day one, was the original color of the must pretty clear or was it an off color, like slightly reddish or maybe brown? The kit I used was 12 months old, so I am wondering about the correct color of the must.
Once you add the F pack, would also like to know how sweet it is... I know, sweetness is subjective.

Or a hangover remedy in a bottle!
Sparkling sounds interesting

Color was about what you see in the picture. No red or brown to the
color, that sounds a bit oxidized. The pineapple really came through in
the small sample I had and yes I slashed a bit of coconut rum also and
its really good and I would love to finish the sample but hubby wants to
taste so I just keep sniffing it. It was sweet but not too bad and once
I sparkle it, I am sure that will dry up some what.
Here is what it looks like 5 hours after adding everything!

20100225_164140_DSCN5707_Deskto.JPG

ibglowin said:
Let me know how this turns out with the coconut rum.

It sounds like a hangover in a bottle!
smiley36.gif

My son says I should put a warning on the label ........

I have already created the label, no warning but it does say there is rum. I really think he just wants a reminder for himself!

20100225_170251_2010_Paradise_B.jpg

I have never had a wine clear this fast! I just used what was in the kit and and it was almost clear within 24 hours. I can read the directions through the wine, and yes I know the directions are from a different kit.

20100228_151045_DSCN5709_Deskto.JPG

wade said:
Thats SuperKleer for you, have you ever used SuperKleer KC before?

All the time and it usually works fast, but this was amazing. I'll be stabilizing 3 more Mon or Tues, including the peach ice wine, you think my luck will continue to hold?

So true. And we'll be bringing the plants back in for the next cold snap so the clearing be blocked from view for a few days. This is the only one I am rushing and of course I would love to get the peach done so I can bottle it, since I'll be giving most to my dad for Christmas.

I split this baby up today. Half of it was racked on top of a bottle of Coconut Rum and will be bottled in a couple of weeks. The rest will sit in the carboy until we have a keg available. At that time we'll force carb and bottle in sparkling wine bottles. Either one will make a nice base for some sangria, or just freeze some pineapple juice and pour the wine on top.
This really is a nice wine and should be terrific this summer and I am pleased that it does not taste overly sweet. May do this again!

20100304_144110_DSCN5716_Deskto.JPG

VCasey,

I am surprised at how clear it has become, considering all the stuff in the F pack. It looks great.

My banana/pineapple viognier is still in the fermentor. For storing and bottling mine, I spoke to George about his wine-on-tap container. With it the wine is stored in plastic bags (like boxed wine) and served in the wine-on-tap dispenser.

He said the wine should keep well in the bag for six months. I bought some extra bags. Each bag holds 1.8 gallons. I'll just bag the larger portion of this wine and bottle the rest just to keep some back. Also, each bag can be used twice before discarding, so I can make this kit again soon, if I like it.

I think the dispenser will work great for parties. Parties is mainly why I bought this kit.

VCasey, please share your exact recipe for this. Sounds great. My wife enjoys the taste of coconut rum and when I told her about this, she said we should try it too. Now I have an excuse to purchase another kit. Thanks for sharing. P.S. Tell us what it tastes like at bottling!!!! Thanks, John.

Back