RJ Spagnols Banana Pineaplle Voigner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my ignorance but I just need to clarify the process...
So 2 weeks or so prior to bottling I would use a method to collect lees/sediment all to one side by tilting the carboy (using 2x4's, etc.). On the day of bottling, I would tilt the carboy the other direction as it takes some time for the lees/sediment to recollect on that end. This would allow me to rack all the way to the bottom of the carboy, collecting more wine and no lees/sediment. Is this correct???

Actually the lees will stay there until the last bit of wine is left when it will sort of drag it down as its almost empty. So the last minute is all you have to watch out for.

Thanks for sharing! Do you do that with primary to secondary, too or just secondary to bucket or bottling?

Just carboy after adding fining agent and if Im bulk aging afterwards as most bigger kits will still drop sediment after fining.

wade said:
Just carboy after adding fining agent and if Im bulk aging afterwards as most bigger kits will still drop sediment after fining.

I do what Wade does for the Lees as well, I just tilt the carboy to the non lees side and carefully rack it off into a second carboy as I filter it just prior to bottling the wine, really does a super job and I think it saves your filter pads till the very end ensuring that you can get all the good stuff to the bottle
smiley4.gif
, it sure beats racking a second time and letting the wine sit for the extra few weeks to clarify a second time.

Good post wade!

So, finally bottled this over the weekend. Initially, it seemed a bit *hot* from upping the alcohol. Now, once enjoying some chilled, it seems to have calmed down...it may have been the voignier as I've never had that before.
Gave bottles to retiring teachers and a principal at kids' schools. Well received!
smiley14.gif

Awwwwwww I don't believe you really bottled it yet Sue. I guess you gonna have to post some pictures of it to make me eat my words
smiley4.gif

Mine isnt even bottled yet, due to laziness and working on other projects is the reason though as mine is as crystal clear as wine can get.

Waldo said:
Awwwwwww I don't believe you really bottled it yet Sue. I guess you gonna have to post some pictures of it to make me eat my words
smiley4.gif

Hahahahaha! Waldo, I'd rather share a bottle with you!
smiley2.gif

If I can find my husband's camera, etc...I'll post photos!

So, haven't been on here for a while.... anyone taste their Banana/Pineapple yet?

Just pitched the yeast on mine today and its already bubbling away. I also lifted the SG to 1.080 for the higher ABV. Never had Voigner.
Is it similar to anything else?

I have withdrawn a sample of it but havent yet bottled it due to laziness and busyness but mus say its very nice. It also smells heavenly!

It's good. I upped the ABV and it was a bit hot. I've let it sit for 2-3 weeks (after bottling) and it's much better. Flavor is quite good! Now that it's stopped raining (hopefully for awhile) in Mass, perhaps I can sit outside and enjoy!!!

Help!

First timer here....This kit was our first and we are almost ready to bottle...The wine has been in the carboy for almost two weeks and appears to be clearing OK. I did have a couple questions...

When should I taste it for the first time and whatn should I expect?
How long should it stay in the bottle before drinking?

thanks in advance

Hey WineDude. Welcome!

You should begin tasting almost immediately. It helps you learn the stages the wine goes through as you are making it. Don't rush it to bottle. Almost everyone makes that mistake the first time or two and end up with sediment. Wait until it has cleared good and rack it again. Give it a few more weeks and if it still has more sediment give it another week or two and rack again before bottling. You may try a bottle soon after it has been bottled, but expect it will continue to improve for months or even years.

This one was good right out of the carboy and I havent noticed any improvement since as I actually just opened the first bottle 3 days ago as my wife had a friend over and the words Banana Pineapple had her drooling!
smiley36.gif
I bottled this in the end of July. Follow Appleman's post and you will be Golden!

Appleman: Thanks for your response....I see you are a fellow New Yorker...I grew up in Oswego and my parent live in the Rome/Utica area. Great motorcycle riding in the Adirondacks

Honestly, I am not too sure how good this kit will come out...We had to add some water when we topped it off in the carboy. George said i should be ok.....i guess i am having my first timer doubts.

I have the Choc/Raspberry port in the primary for our second kit and i am getting ready to start a Valpocella....any suggestions

Thanks wade....I am going to rack it back into a primary bucket as i am short carboys(not for long) leave it there for another week or so and rack into another bucket prior to bottling.....thoughts

Do not leave it in the bucket for longer then you need to clean out the carboy and then fill it back up or it will oxidize!

Back