RJ Spagnols Banana Pineaplle Voigner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Just racked this off the lees since fermentation was done and added all the goodies after degassing. Didnt taste the wine but did sneak a few drops out of the f-pac and all I can say is yum!

Okay, that does it! I'm making mine this week!!! From what I've been reading about Voignier, it's usually a higher alcohol wine. So, upping the ABV seems to be a good thing, as you've done, Wade.

20090517_160842_Banana_pineappl.jpg

Notice the lees all on 1 side from the carboy being tilted, this allows for easy racking later without disturbing the lees! This has to clear a little more as its only been in there since yesterday morning. In the first few days i gently rock the carboy side to side while its on 1 edge to help all the lees get to the side. This way you get more wine!!!!!!!!

Wade - when you rack it, do you tip it back the other direction so that the side without the lees is down and siphon from there? or do you leave it like it is and siphon off of the high side that doesn't have the lees?
Thanks,
Wayne

I tip it back the other way so all the wine is in the side with no lees so I can stick the racking cane right to the bottom.

Wade...
smiley10.gif
That is a very good idea!!!!! I learn something everyday on this forum....
Darryl

FINALLY started this today! UppedS.G. to 1.080 and we're off!!
smiley20.gif

Wade: Is yours getting close to bottling time?

It was all nice and clear and I was racking to clean carboy Sat. morning when my kid started screaming upstairs so I ran up and it was just a bee in his room. I killed the bee and ran back down but it was too late, the racking can had sucked up some lees that had floated down from the higher side and clouded up the wine but it is clear as a bell again already. I will probably either rerack again or bottle next week, it tastes great though!

I don't care for bees much myself so you're a hero in my book!! What a bummer! Some things you just can't plan for! Glad to hear that it tastes great! I recall that you upped ABV to 1.080, too. Any alcohol taste? How much of the f-pack did you end up using?

No alc taste at all.I added the whole f-pac and its not a super sweet1 like some others are.

I'm drooling already!
smiley36.gif
This kit sounded delicious right when I heard about it! I've never had Voignier wine...can you taste it in this kit? I have a feeling this may be one that I'll want to keep on hand.
I haven't learned to appreciate red wine yet, so I've only tried the whites. Which white OB or IM is your fav so far? What about red OB or IM? I'm giving serious thought to Acai Rasp Cab Sauv or Cranberry Chianti... Have any recommendations?

That Acai rasp sounds really good also and I had a real struggle deciding between the 2. Ive never tried Voignier either. I loved the Green Apple Rieslin, The peach Apricot Chard, The Blueberry Pinot which I replicated using All Juice Pinot and blended Blueberry wine with. The watermelon white Merlot was real nice with the abv upped to 1.085

Hmmm. I keep reading about the Green Apple Riesling...Have you tried the Green Apple Gewurtztraminer? The OB Cran-Apple Chard is really good, too! I still have some Kiwi-Pear Sauv Blanc but friends really liked the Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio... I'm also drawn to the Seville Orange Sangria...ain't life tough to have to make such decisions??!!! Thanks for your input! Appreciate your experienced opinion!

SueMac said:
Hmmm. I keep reading about the Green Apple Riesling...Have you tried the Green Apple Gewurtztraminer? The OB Cran-Apple Chard is really good, too! I still have some Kiwi-Pear Sauv Blanc but friends really liked the Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio... I'm also drawn to the Seville Orange Sangria...ain't life tough to have to make such decisions??!!! Thanks for your input! Appreciate your experienced opinion!

I have tried both the green apples and while both are very good I prefer the Green Apple Gewurtztraminer myself. It has more of a citrusy kick to it

Wade:

What are you using to tip the carboy in order to accumulate the lees on one side?

That is a wonderful idea by the way.

Waldo said:
SueMac said:

I have tried both the green apples and while both are very good I prefer the Green Apple Gewurtztraminer myself. It has more of a citrusy kick to it

Thanks, Waldo! Wasthe wine flavor itself distinguishable? I like both Reislings and Gewurtztraminers! Do you have a preference of OB kits over IM kits? Thanks for your input!

I use the rubber bungs for a gallon jug but do roll it manually to really get it all back there.

Smokegrub said:
Wade:

What are you using to tip the carboy in order to accumulate the lees on one side?

That is a wonderful idea by the way.

I use soft dive weights. Our LHBS has a couple of 2x4s that stretch the length of the table (and some in the back to prevent slips).
VC

Back