back sweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkutch

Reaction score
How do you back sweeten a wine? I should know the answer to this but honestly I dont since I never back sweetened one. I like dry wines. I am only wanting to add about 1% of sugar to my 5 gallon batch. I am trying for a white Zin taste.

Just make sure you have stabilized with k-meta and sorbate (to avoid refermentation).

Then use a simple syrup (1 cup water, 2 cups sugar) heat water almost to boil, stir in sugar.

Add simple syrup to taste.

(Sweeten until just below where you want it.... It will intensify a little over time)

tkutch said:
What does the Sorbate do?
Birth Control for yeast...prevents re-fermentation.

Contrary to popular opinion, K-meta doesn't kill yeast, it only stuns it. The yeast will probably come back to life.

K-meta and K-sorbate should be used together before sweetening.

Steve

Can I add sorbate in about a week after sweeten it? I dont think I have sorbate on hand but have k meta.

No.

Wait til you have some. Let k-meta and sorbate sit in wine a week or 2 before sweetening!!!

Thanks. I will get some while I am out tomorrow and will just rack today.

No problem Buddy.

I am glad you asked.... Some people would have just done it, and then asked why their air lock is bubbling again.

I racked today. Should I add the k meta today and not tomorrow when I add the sorbate. Or just wait till tomorrow to add both k meta and sorbate? Just dont know if 24 hours will hurt it without k meta.

just make sure you give that sorbate time to do its thing before you think of bottling

I plan to start the sorbate and k meta tomorrow after going to George's to pick up sorbate. Then in 2 weeks do the sweetening. Then bottle around Christmas to March. All depends on time and if I want to let it rest for a while but not too long.

If you wait that long to bottle, you might want to add some more k-meta to boost it up to safe levels. It would be best to run some test for free S02 to check the level. If low, add before bottling.

I played around with it today by adding some left over blackberry from a OB kit (merlot blackberry). I added it to a glass while racking it and was amazed how good it tasted for being so young. It has a great nose but lacked some body because it was a little tart. The sweetening of the blackberry made it taste great and I am not a fan of sweet wines. I enjoyed that the tartness settled down with the sweetener.

Latest posts

Back