Arkansas Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a sawmill and gave me some Arkansas oak chips last summer. I dried them out and today toasted them in the oven. I'm bulk aging some Meglioli Rojo Grande. I've only age it 4 months so far. Would it hurts to add the oak chips now? Bulk age 4 more months the rack and bulk age for 4 more months without the chips?<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

I would not "experiment" on a MM Meg kit with oak chips you got from a friend. For goodness sakes experiment on a cheap kit that if the experiment doesn't turn out you have not trashed a $200 kit!
smiley29.gif

I agree with Mike. Also, do not try to use red oak in a wine. All the oak - chips, dust, barrels, ..etc you buy are always white oak.

That Meglioli kit is just too special to potentially mess up.

it was WHITE oak chips. I won't try on a MM but will try soon.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

I tried some oak like this when I started making wine and toasted it in the oven. Man did it make the house smell good an d it made some nice crackling noises but it did not make a good tasting oak for the wine. Ill never try it again myself.

Find out from your friend whether the oak was treated for sapstain prevention before being kiln dried. The chemicals used for sapstain prevention are HIGHLY TOXIC!!

Personally, I would never use oak that I didn't know was intended for use in winemaking from the time the tree was cut.

No chemicals. The chips were center cut. I air dried them. Then roasted them.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">Time will tell. If there is a 50/50 chance that it will taste like crap. Then it's 90 percent that it will be bad.

Back