Apple Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Started to make an applewine of a recipe I fouund on the net. Unfortunatley I got a bad packet of yeast and its not fermenting at all after 24 hrs. Its my fault I should should of noticed it wasnt right when I rehydrated it. My question is, if the juice dosent go bad before I get a delivery of yeast (Wed) can I just repitch yeast to it, or is there something else I need to do? Thanks.

Are you sure the yeast is no good? Some yeast can take a while to start. Please make the temperature is at least 65 degrees and give the batch a good stir. Can you post the recipe as it might help us determine if there is anotherproblem.
Then If you are not going to pitch more yeast until Wednesday of next week you need to get the juice away from the air to prevent oxidation. If you have a carboy or other containers I would transfer it to them and reduce the headspace as much as possible. Then hold until you get the yeast and then transfer back to primary and pitch the new yeast.

I agree with Masta. The yeast will probably get going within the next 24 hours if it is going to. Did you use any yeast nutrient or energizer? Thos help to fuel the yeast and get a good ferment going. I never rehydrate the packets of yeast- just sprinkle on the top. You run the risk of getting your water temp too high and killing the yeast. Always use wine yeast and not bread yeast also. Be patient and it will probably be bubbling merrily away by the end of the day.

I always rehydrate my yeast..have a thermometer to make sure the temp of the water is correct....also, I sprinkle a few grains of sugar as well as a few grains of Yeast Energizer in the cup with the yeast...[just like you do when making bread]....feed the yeast..... then it is going like crazy in 10 minutes....... then I pour the yeast gently into the primary, don't stir....I just like to see the yeast get started in the measuring cup...It starts in the must in a few hours.This way you never wonder if the yeast was good or not...you see it start within a few minutes.

<a href="http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request200.asp" target="_blank">
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request200.asp</A>

Here is the link to the recipe I used. I folloed it to a T so I did put nutrient into the juice. I will let it go another day and see what happens. If nothing happens I will place it from the primary into a carboy like was stated to cut head space and stick it in the shed where it is a little cooler, and hopefully the juice will still be good in a few days.

I just made a batch of Raspberry. It took 3 days and the assistance of a heating pad to get it going. Make sure the temperature of the Must is within range and not just the ambient room temperature. There is a difference particularly if your primary is sitting on the floor. For example, my room temperature was 68-70 F but the temp of my Must was 60F after 48 hours. I placed a heating pad around the bucket and the next morning I had an active fermentation going.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Johnny: I just steamed 20 lbs of apples on Sunday, pitched the yeast on Mon night. Nothing. I was worried, so I added both some nutrient and enegizer then sat the must in front of the pellet stove. This raised the temp to about 70 degrees. When I got up this morning it was really fermenting. Where I had it before it was about 65-66 degrees. I don't know if it was the heat or the additons, but it really took off....

The juice will be fine for a couple of days and I agree with waiting.
Especially with the Cotes Des Blanc yeast this one always takes a few
days. Definetly get it up near the hot range cutoff when starting as
this helps alot. Also check the ingredients on the Applejuice you used
and make sure there was no sorbate in it and let us know if there was
metabisulfite in it.

Edited by: wade

No sorbates, or that other stuff..LOL. Only says Apples, and Absorbic Acid. Not from concentrate. I am using Pasteur Champagne yeast.Edited by: JohnnyK68

wade said:
Any luck yet Johnny, what is the temp now!

Nadda! I dont know whats going on. I pitched another packet of yeast at noon and still nothing. I followed the recipe exactly, but it wont ferment.
I guess on a brighter note my Petite Sirah kit seems to be doing great! Racked in to the carboy today and it is fermenting away in there right now. If I had to have one go south glad it was just this bucket of apple juice. That was only 12 bucks.

Did you give it a dose of Yeast Energizer and Yeast Nutrient???That always works.....don't give up yet...

Give it more warmth and another stirring to relieve any extra k-meta
that might be trapped. and do as Northern says to. Anything before
dumping to try to save it.

I know you said you followed it to a T but just curious, did you substitute anything like k-meta powder instead of Campden?

Oh man! Yes I did substitute that. I did sub K-Meta powder for campden tabs because the LHBS was out of them and he said it was exactly the same thing. I guess its not and I killed it? Edited by: JohnnyK68

It called for 1/8 tsp per gallon. I was making 3 gallons I have a .5 tsp measuring spoon so I put an almost half spoonfull.

That sounds about right. I was scared that you had over sulfited
because some of the Sulfite packages were mislabeled and read 1/4 tsp
per gallon which we have seen here a few times. Phew! We"re still
trying to figure this one out though. Any other supplements by any
chance? It seems weird that they say 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons and 1/8 per
gallon though. It really should be less than 1/16 if the first part is
right. 1/8 should be for 2 1/2 gallons then.

Edited by: wade

This is why I always and I mean always use tablets in the beginning and less than called for.

Only other thing I have used is what is called for in that recipe. I keep going to check the air lock hoping I would see the center piece rising, but not at all.

Latest posts

Back