Apple question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which variety of apple is the best for making wine?

The top two varieties are needed for cross pollination. Also need to be of the dwarf or semi dwarf (which most come in these) for spacing reasons.

If you have a prefered type let me know the reasons why that type over another type. If you have only ever used one type then it would be hard to compare and give reaons. But still leave them.

Im not sure which ones are the best but I do know that it is a blend of a few that is the best!

Which ones?
I am finally making progress with my 1.5+ acres that I am turning into my orchard. I am planning between 4-8 apple trees. The plan is to put 4 in by April and another 2-4 in by next April.
I have 20+ blackberry cuttings that will be here within the next two weeks and then I will be searching out the apple trees.

PW I agree with Wade that a blend of apples would be best I know the apple cider we get is always blends of numerous apples. Since you have not planted yet have you ever considerd espaliered apple trees. We have hudreds of acres of apple orchards in between the vineyards around here. Most of them are either dwarf or espaliered trees. I've had two dwarfs for three years that I am going to start training to be espaliered. It basically just two wires stung out just like for most grape vines. Just a thought to share with you, sorry I didn't answer your original question.

I think Grapeman will have the answer.

From what Ive read on a few forums , Winesap, Jonathon, Macintosh, and Dolgo Crab apples are even in there. Ive made it from the crab apples many times now by them selves and its awesome.

Dan the training you are talking about is something that I was talking to the AG office lady today about. She suggested that if I was going to train then I needed to get someone that was efficient in tree training. There was a list of reasons that made sense, but I think that if I had someone come help me train one I would be able to do the rest of them. But she also said that if I got the dwarf or semi-dwarf that I would probalby be alright with just some pruning.

Wade, Winesap and the Dolgo were the only two that were not mentioned when I was taking the AG lady. She mentioned Jonathon and Macs, along with the Grannys and all both of the delicious varieties and some others. I told her that I would be making cider and wine from most if not all of them. She said to do just what I did here, ask the ones that would most likely know. LOL So I did and I got you guys. Does that qualify :)

Well my two tree's are relatively close to each other so I am going to be stringing two wires (upper and lower) in a few weeks. I will start training the branches that will flex easily and slowly prune the others away. I figure its going to be about a three year process so I don't shock the tree too much at once.

Pw whatever variety you go with make sure they are cooking apples and not eating apples. The eating apples are milder in taste and you lose some of the flavor when making wine.

I have granny's and yellow delicious, cooking variety, they make a good wine and a good apple pie.

Using a variety of apples is usually the best. Most often I use Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and a tart apple such as granny smith or a Braeburn (The best apple in my opinion) when I press my own apples. I do add a few pears to help sweeten.

AS far as training it is important if you want to get many large apples. By training your trees you allow enough room between branches to allow air and light to get thru. Proper spacing allows the brances to dry quickly to avoid diseases (although you still need a regiment of insect and fungus spraying). Fewer brances means fewer apples and allows more nutrients to fewer apples producing larger fruit.

Typically you want a N S E West type training. 4 branches spreading out away from each other and repeating as you go up the tree. Remove ALL suckers especially those heading inward. I have dwarf trees and they are still big. Forget the 10-12 ft. max. height, they stilll grow big. Allow only a few buds per branch.

Do not fertilize your fruit trees unless it is a very weak solution and do it rarely. Organic fertilizing is the best. Fertilizing causes your trees to grow and not produce alot of fruit.

Apply mulch around the base but keep 2-3 inches away from the trunk. Protect the trunk from rabbits deer etc.

Trim your trees in January and remove all dead clippings. Give your trees plenty of water and after a few years you should have nicely growing trees producing lots of apples, great for eating or wine making.

Steve very nice explanation. I prune my trees heavily every year. When selecting one I would try to find one without a center leader growing straight up (just the opposite of any other tree) in a dwarf. I have one tree that has one and I cut it down to 6' every year. Neither of my trees exceed 6' when I am done pruning.

Back