Any New Vineyards planned?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

It is thetime of year when outside activities need to take the backseat for a while until it warms up again. Many of us making our own wines like the thought of using our own product to do so. Countless hours are spent sifting through the catalogs dreaming of the next great crop growing in the garden......

Have you been dreaming of starting a few vines in the backyard or maybe a short row or two? If so I am sure you have a million questions and may be shy to ask. Don't be shy. There are lots of us here that have started our own little slice of heaven and our vineyards range from a couple vines upwards.

Tell us here if you have any desires to start your own. If you already have, take a few minutes to share with the new ones your experiences.

Good luck and fun growing!

One of these years!
smiley13.gif

Would love to start a few vines of a Shiraz but not sure how they would fare down here

Waldo you might be able to try them there if Pierce's disease isn't too bad. I think you are just far enough north to be past the worst of it. I would give it a shot. What do you have to lose - just a few vines. They will grow to Zone 7 and I believe that is what you have where you are at.

Check out this page
http://littlerock.about.com/cs/othercities/a/aawine.htm

According to it Chateaux Aux Arc (Ozark) is the largest grower of Zinfandel in the state- so at least some are grown there.

Someday! Until then, I can dream and live vicariously through photos and descriptions from others....
smiley12.gif

I did try to plant a couple of table grape vines last year just for fun, but they didn't fare too well. Who knows, they may come back in the spring. The climate here is very hot, and the soil very alkaline. And I do just have a small yard. But who knows where my travels will take me next. Hopefully not Japan!
smiley36.gif

it took a long time to come to grips with the fact that while I have a few vines, my passion is for turning the fruit into wine and not making the fruit. I think, for me, that I can only excel in 1 area, so I choose winemaking. I'll gladly purchase grapes from the vineyard owners. We actually have quite a few large farms out in this area that have very high quality fruit. They allow small winemakers like me to purchase from them in small lots (20 lugs or less).

Like many, I just don't have enough room to grow vines. And if I did, I may very well be like Dean.Fortunately, forum member Farmer has some that will be three this year, another plus is I work rotating shift, while he is a Mon-Fri guy. So I will be more than willing and ableto "help keep an eye on things" for him. So glad he expanded into wine instead of just beer!
smiley36.gif
smiley20.gif

No more new vines up here on de-frozen-tundra....Think the very hardy ones are the only ones we can safely grow.

Scouting out some hardy Black Raspberries....
smiley4.gif

-16°F at the moment....got to a high of -12° today down to -30°F tonight....

Hopefully all the 'Wine Garden' plants we are trying to grow up here in the frozen North will winter over...

Only the strong survive!!!!

Cynthiana Norton grows well in Louisiana, so I think it would do well near you Rocky Top.

Thanks gaudet,
I might try that.

Northern Winos, ........................I have a new respect for Minnesota folk!!! That is cold !!!!

Since I am in the balmy part of Minnesota ( currently -1° high today 5° tonight only -10°) I have been looking to add a few more varieties to my vineyard.
MyFrontenac and Frontenac Gris will be in their third growing season and my Marquette, La Crescent and Sabevoiswill bein their second season.

I am looking at adding2 or 3more varieties, to have more choices for blending when wine making time does come.

I started two varieties of black raspberries last spring and would like to add black currents to the mix this spring.

Careful there JW we got a new dog this summer and she has been doing a pretty good job keeping thecrittersout of the vineyard
smiley36.gif

Hi everyone , I am new to wine making with only two batches started to date. This last summer I decided to start making my own wines and since I live on a small acreage I decided to take the plunge full bore. I have ordered 27 vines for spring 2009 delivery. Before cold weather set in I had all my trellis poles set . Since I live in NW missouri I had to find cold hardy grapes . I have 8 each of St Croix , Vignoles , and Frontenec Gris , coming and 3 vines of Edelweis since I already have 3 of these started . last spring I planted the 3 edelweis vines and in one season they grew to the top wire and 5 feet each way . I did alot of reading before I started all this and am very excited to start this project . I really enjoy this site and know that if I run into any snags along the way that there are a whole lot of folks on this site willing and able to help

fivebk I think it would be time to start your own thread in the Home Vineyards section. Tell us all about what you have done, plan to do and above all else WALD LOVES PICTURES (the rest of us do too!)!!!!

Not exactly a vineyard. I have a veggie garden and the catalogs are starting to show up. I have this long row behind the garage that is about 30 ft long by 6 foot wide that is currently grass. I keep looking at different fruits. grapes, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry. There is a neat cherry bush instead of a tall tree.

Back