Any idea what this is?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWs

Sixth year into this... and still learning!
Reaction score
This formed on the side and bottom of my Concord. It is like a sand. It was racked and stabilized about two weeks ago, however I haven't backsweetened yet. It was like a sand texture and was hard to get off the side of the jug, I had to use a bottle brush. Will yeast get hard when it dies off and stick to the side of the carboy? I did use calcium carb to lower acid before starting could it be acid crystals?

100_8016a.jpg

What he said^^^^^^ It may possibly drop more out in the bottles if you dont cold stabilize the wine before bottling. Nothing wrong at all with that besides being a little unsightly to people who dont know much about it.

Thanks, I learned something new today!

They take many shapes and sizes. Some are like sand others are large crystals like diamonds and others form a scale type formation(hard scale).

Looks like my concord. I did two batches this fall, one had a pile of diamonds and the other did not but was from my backyard and the other was from a friends backyard.

Latest posts

Back