Any Experienced Port Makers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think it would be interesting to analyze it from that method. If you want, I would be more than willing to help look over your data.

Hello All
I have been making port from grapes for a number of years.
I have about 30 gal in carboys and am working out some blends.
My comment on chaptalization is that the yeast needs to survive at the higher alcohol levels. My experience with those yeasts is that the flavor profile goes way down with these high alcohol yeasts.
I use chaptalization to create a wine which is used for “other purposes”.

My goal in making port is to create something based on the type of grape used.
Therefore adding grape concentrate changes the naturel flavor of the port.
Like Steve I closely monitor the SG and when it gets btw 1.o45 & 1.04 I add 190 proof spirits. Sometimes it is 3am in the morning on a workday!! But hey, its port, it’s worth it!!
This filter does a great job in taking everclear and getting rid of all the off flavors.
http://stillspirits.com/collections/filtering/products/ezfilter-system
Cheers

Wow 30 Gal. of port?? :r

I have to say ,since mentioning this on another thread, and no one really knowing who all was making port, this has been incredible finding all of you.

Experience is truly what helps us all find our ways.

Seth: I'm sure if I delve into this you'll help me with you incredible math skills? lol

Alright Kim if you want the honest truth, I just bottled over 120 gallons of it three weeks ago and it just went out on the shelves for about $40 I think the price is for 500ml

runningwolf...are they young are aged..that is a lot of port. just to smell that in a vat would be heaven.

Wow Dan & BigMac, I have port envy...

Dan, were they all red grape ports? Kits? Details please!

I had an amarone from juice bucket that would not finish, so I decided to make a port out of it. Steve (VacuumPump) shared his method of making brandy in order to fortify. I can say it works like a charm. I took 1 cup of Activated distillers charcoal and added to a 1 gallon glass jug.

I then poured 3 bottles of 151 everclear and let it sit for 2 weeks, shaking it ever two days. I then strained the everclear into a 1 gallon glass jug and added 1 and half cups of MFT oak Chips. Left it for another 2 weeks. O my Gosh, I took a snort of it and wow Carmel and Vanilla all day rich and velvet. I then racked the amarone backsweeten it to 1.040 added Hung M T, the spirit and a little s02...done.

Thanks Steve

Just remember, I believe you when you say that it taste really good but the term "Brandy" usually refers to a (neutral) grape spirit, you filtered and flavored Everclear, a (neutral) grain spirit.

I Steve (VacuumPump) shared his method of making brandy in order to fortify.

Wow 30 Gal. of port?? :r

I have to say ,since mentioning this on another thread, and no one really knowing who all was making port, this has been incredible finding all of you.

Experience is truly what helps us all find our ways.

Seth: I'm sure if I delve into this you'll help me with you incredible math skills? lol

Yup in willing to help in whatever way that it's possible.

ibglowin is correct...brandy is a fermented wine that is distilled, while everclear is sugar water fermented and distilled, are fermented grain and distilled..not near the same as brandy.
you can not make brandy out of everclear..Period.
i think the reason for using everclear is because you do not have to use near as much to get to the alcohol contend using a pearson square.

Alright Kim if you want the honest truth, I just bottled over 120 gallons of it three weeks ago and it just went out on the shelves for about $40 I think the price is for 500ml

Dan I had no idea! 120 gal! Any details you're willing to share ;)

I had an amarone from juice bucket that would not finish, so I decided to make a port out of it. Steve (VacuumPump) shared his method of making brandy in order to fortify. I can say it works like a charm. I took 1 cup of Activated distillers charcoal and added to a 1 gallon glass jug.

I then poured 3 bottles of 151 everclear and let it sit for 2 weeks, shaking it ever two days. I then strained the everclear into a 1 gallon glass jug and added 1 and half cups of MFT oak Chips. Left it for another 2 weeks. O my Gosh, I took a snort of it and wow Carmel and Vanilla all day rich and velvet. I then racked the amarone backsweeten it to 1.040 added Hung M T, the spirit and a little s02...done.

Thanks Steve

I am glad it turned out for you -
it is a really easy method to use.
I will agree with others that the term Brandy - well can be confusing. It is probably the closest thing to 100% brandy that they originally used to make port originally. Unless you have a license to distill

I talked to a distillery that is just starting up and he makes vodka from apples - interesting ?

Agreed. I was watching a video online, the video takes place at st George's distillery in cali. They made brandy from pears and such. The master distiller made the same comment. He said if we distill the pears to far, we end up with vodhka. He said with brandy you want something of the fruit to remain.

From Wikipedia:

Vodka: Vodka is made by the distillation of fermented substances such as grains, potatoes, or sometimes fruits or sugar.

Brandy: Brandy (from brandywine, derived from Dutch brandewijn, "burnt wine") is a spirit produced by distilling wine.

Since Everclear is not a distilled wine but a "rectified spirit" made from grains, it is technically not a Brandy.

The term Vodka used to be referred to of been made from potatoes. The best Vodka these days are mainly made from grains.
http://www.absolutad.com/absolut_about/history/made/

I believe we have come a long way when it comes to distill ing and the purity of the product

So if you distill grape juice properly - is there any difference ??

From Wikipedia:

Vodka: Vodka is made by the distillation of fermented substances such as grains, potatoes, or sometimes fruits or sugar.

Brandy: Brandy (from brandywine, derived from Dutch brandewijn, "burnt wine") is a spirit produced by distilling wine.

Since Everclear is not a distilled wine but a "rectified spirit" made from grains, it is technically not a Brandy.

and store bought brandy is again not the same so you just go round and round :)

Is there a difference chemically between apples, potatoes and grains when the fruit is distilled? So, if you distill switch grass and apples to 95 ,percent alcohol is there a difference in the ethanol chemically or is ethanol...just ethanol?

i think ethanol is just ethanol. not real sure.
most brandys bought in a store that is not a fruit brandy, is distilled from wine.

Back