Port Wine vs Dessert Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I step feed my dessert wines in bigger increments than Bryan but it all works.
I've had a couple of failures when using larger increments, e.g., 1.010 to 1.030, hence my caution. If the yeast gives up the ghost at 1.040 ... that's what ya have for residual sugar. I'm a dryer-wine type, so having wine stopping at 1.020 is more likely to be palatable for me.

When offering recommendations blindly, like in this situation, I go cautious.

How do you suggest to back sweeten it, if desired?
I use plain 'ole table sugar. Currently, I work with my son, and one of us gently stirs the wine with a drill-mounted stirring rod, while the other adds sugar in a fine stream. Stir for 1 minute after the sugar is all in, then taste. Repeat as needed.

Always backsweeten by taste. The hydrometer is of no value when backsweetening, as it will never taste the wine. I check the value afterward, but not during.

Please note that my son & I are both dry-wine guys, so our version of "sweet" is a lot less than other folks. We backsweetened a metheglin from SG 0.990 to 0.994, and called it good. :r

For the amount of sugar we use when we backsweeten, using granulated sugar and getting it to mix is not a problem. Folks that like it a lot sweeter may want to make a 2:1 sugar syrup (boil 1 cup water, stir in 2 cups sugar until clear, then cool).

Some folks do bench testing, and calculate how much sugar to add to the entire batch. I've had that go BADLY wrong. I backsweeten the entire batch in small increments. When I think the wine needs just a bit more, I STOP. It's far easier to add more than to take some out.

My two cents...
Definitely taste it first. The residual sugar (which will be mostly fructose) might be enough. It all depends on what you're going for.
Yup. A common question is, "How much RS do I need?"

There is no answer. Every wine is different, and numerous factors that differ from batch to batch (e.g., acid) affect how much sugar is necessary. Personal taste is also important (as I mentioned above).

Always backsweeten by taste. The hydrometer is of no value when backsweetening, as it will never taste the wine. I check the value afterward, but not during.
You are so right.
I take a reading after each back sweetening out of curiosity. If I had to guess the SG I would be wrong every time.

I'm pretty sure most (might even go so far as to say all) wine kits have now added Style to their kits that are possibly covered by AOC rules and regulations, ala RJS Spagnols Italian Amarone Style Kit and the kits that used to be called Port Kits are now called Dessert Wine Kits. As home winemakers we can call it anything we like, we aren't commercial, we aren't selling, we aren't subject to those rules and regulations, but Wine Kits are.
That's true, but it ain't Port! :D

Just my thoughts, but if you're pleased and proud of what you make, why not give it an original name, not a copy.

That's true, but it ain't Port! :D

Just my thoughts, but if you're pleased and proud of what you make, why not give it an original name, not a copy.

Because other wine drinkers know what to expect if I call a wine am Amarone, but if I call it mubledefudge they have no clue. And the labels I bought with the kit say Amarone Style.

mumbledefudge is a generic term I have heard my whole life for generic placeholder name. The spelling of it changes with how I feel. But the bottom line is, if I call my wine something I want to call it, folks don't have a clue what it might be, Port (style) gives them a clue, this is for the times when I have gifted wine to folks and it's multiple bottles with just labels. Folks see Merlot, might sort of know what to expect, Purple Passion doesn't do them much good.

Latest posts

Back