Another Storm....Blah!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
A Winter Weather Advisory Means That Periods Of Snow, Sleet, Or Freezing Rain Will Cause Travel Difficulties.
Be Prepared For Slippery Roads And Limited Visibility

We are right on track to get another 6-8 inches of snow, sleet and winds....

Just be carefull out there pumpkinman..... Springs coming!... Lol

Tom I had no idea where Poughkeepsie, New York was. I though you were maybe up near Rochester til I just looked it up on the weather map. The bad news is you got the entire storm heading your way. The good news is, I'm on the tail end of it and we really didn't get anything here over night.

We love the snow. Sitting by the fire sipping a glass of home made wine watching the birds on the feeders with a beautiful snow back ground is about as good as it gets.

We love the snow. Sitting by the fire sipping a glass of home made wine watching the birds on the feeders with a beautiful snow back ground is about as good as it gets.
I'll take the green grass. Living in the snow belt where we avg about 160" of snow, I look forward to fire in my pit on the patio with some port and snacks. Snow blowing your driveway 2-3 times a day gets old pretty quick and the 40 minute drive to work in it doesn't help either.

Don't get me wrong, we deal with it and the snow is beautiful. I just look forward to days without it on the roads and driveway.

Gee I don't mind the snow. But then again, I don't have to worry about snow plowing and driving to work on snowing days isn't all that bad. :i

We are right on track to get another 6-8 inches of snow, sleet and winds....

I seriously would take it! We are so far behind on moisture that I'm afraid that we are headed for a third summer drought. I hauled water all last summer to the grapes and I just ordered another 30 plants to be delivered in May. I don't know how much longer the well can keep up. Everything either heads north to the Chicago area, or south to St. Louis.

Shoveled the sidewalk this morning around 9:00 we had about 3+ inches. Snowing pretty good here again. Guess we're calling for aother 1-3 inches. PW cjust called me, I'll be out plowing shortly.

Just finished plowing our 400' lane. We had about 4-5" on top of 6" that we got Wednesday. I am loving it!! Especially since I am off work until Jan. 2nd!

for all of you that wanted the snow,.......I am going to try to email it to you...lol...you can have it!
On a serious note, I picked up my daughter from work, got the wild idea of making fresh gnocchi alla bolognese so we went to the store, by the time I pulled into our road, the truck didn't even bother to turn, just went straight, even in 4 wheel drive and going slow, this was a great lesson for my daughter, she has a jeep, and I am glad that I was able to substantiate the whole "4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop in the snow and sleet" claim.
So now I'll stay home, cook, drink wine and rack a few more carboys today.

Tom you are just plain having too much fun man. Keep the snow. I just got home from getting my wife from work in my 2 wheel drive PU and it almost went by a couple places. Starting up was also fun as there is just enough snow and ice to make it slick. They have been plowing alright but no salt to speak of and no sand at all.

for all of you that wanted the snow,.......I am going to try to email it to you...lol...you can have it!
On a serious note, I picked up my daughter from work, got the wild idea of making fresh gnocchi alla bolognese so we went to the store, by the time I pulled into our road, the truck didn't even bother to turn, just went straight, even in 4 wheel drive and going slow, this was a great lesson for my daughter, she has a jeep, and I am glad that I was able to substantiate the whole "4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop in the snow and sleet" claim.
So now I'll stay home, cook, drink wine and rack a few more carboys today.

Tom, we love gnocchi. Could you post your recipe, please? My Mom used to make it and we called it "sinkers" (as in fishing). My Mother in Law made gnocchi that was as light as a feather. Bev's is somewhere in between but tending (fortunately toward her Mom's). Also, what do you use for your beef in your Bolognese? We always slow cooked and shreaded a good piece of beef but I see a lot of people using ground beef now. Are you using the Bolognese on the gnocchi? We usually make up a butter, olive oil, garlic and basil sause and drain and stir the gnocchi into it. With a glass of Verdicchio, WOW!

Snow blowing your driveway 2-3 times a day gets old pretty quick

Having one of these might change your entire outlook on moving snow:D

IMG_4347.JPG

.**** Edit*** My apologies to Rocky on the very much vague answer, after 3 bottles of wine, my answers looked great...lol...until I just reread them***

Rocky, fluffy gnocchi is an art, The choice of potato is crucial.I prefer Russet potatoes because of their high starch and low moisture. Yukon golds may taste better, but they will get sticky and gummy.
**EDIT***Here is a small batch recipe:

Gnocchi
In Italy they taught us to blanch the potatoes, then bake them in the oven to dry them out.
Baking the potatoes also bring forward a more pronounced potato flavor, so just blanch and then bake until cooked, not killed.
Peel the potatoes while hot and rice them immediately. This is very important, rice them immediately or they will turn like glue.
I add egg to the potatoes and gently incorporate them, being careful not to overwork the potato. Adding an egg actually allows you to use less flour, ***Remember The less flour you use, the lighter your gnocchi will be***
If you can find a Low Gluten, or "Italian 00" Flour (doppio zero), even King Arthur brand puts out an Italian style Flour, this will make the gnocchi even less starchy, With less gluten, there is less chance that you will toughen the dough by over-kneading. This is another key to consistently making fluffy gnocchi.
You will know if you add too much flour to the gnocchi, they will be easier to work, but the potato flavor will be gone.

2-3 medium baking potatoes, preferably Russet (about 1½ pounds total)
1 large egg, beaten
½ t Kosher salt
¾ c flour, Italian "00" plus extra for dusting

Cook & rice the potatoes (blanch and bake)
Place 2 cups potatoes in a bowl. Add the egg, and salt.
Some will use a handheld electric mixture on LOW to just combine the ingredients, I prefer to do it by hand to avoid over mixing.
Add the flour and mix just until mixture becomes a soft dough. Do not over mix.

On a dusted table or cutting board:
Gently knead the dough for just a minute or two, until it becomes smooth.
Add flour as necessary if the dough is too sticky.
Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
Applying gentle even pressure, roll each piece of dough into a ½-inch thick rope about 18-24 inches long.
Like making wine, this takes some patience and you can't rush this part, I've created belly bombers easily by going too fast!

Get a baking sheet or a piece of wax paper to place the finished gnocchi, make sure that you dust which ever you choose.
Use a knife to cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces on a bias.
I'm sure that you already know how to form them, seeing that you have done it before.
Use your thumb to press and roll each gnocchi against the tines of a fork. One side will end up slightly concave and the other will have a few grooves on it. You should end up with enough to feed 4, or 2 very hungry people...lol
You can double the batch and freeze some if you want.

Salsa Bolognese
I use to grind my own chopped meat to ensure freshness and quality, the past few years, I've gotten older and instead, I get a butcher to grind my chopped meat fresh, or I'll buy chopped meat like I did today.
I use a mix of carrots, celery onions and garlic, diced fine and sauteed, this is a classic mirepoix, the carrots act as a natural sweetener, but just like making wine, you must have patience, and cook on slow heat to cook the mirepoix down without burning it.
I use a mix of chopped meat and sausage, usually 2 to 1.
I use my own fresh spices that I've dried, oregano, rosemary and basil, with the exception of the basil.

At the end of summer, I harvest all of our basil and make a very large batch of pesto like blend, basil, garlic and olive oil, I then line ice cube trays with saran type wrap and fill the trays and freeze, when frozen I remove the basil cubes and place in a Ziploc freezer bag, in the freezer.
When you use this basil, it gives the taste of fresh basil all year long.

I use fresh canned tomatoes if possible, if not a good canned tomato works fine, and tomato paste.

I always use red wine, the key to cooking with wine is to get the pan or pot really hot before you add the wine, so you can hear it sizzle and evaporate, you want what ever you are cooking to absorb it.

I cook down the mirepoix, I add my spices, i add the meat, cook it through, then add the wine, tomato, paste, salt pepper and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
I do not cook my sauces all day like the old Italian ladies did yrs ago, 2 or 3 hrs is fine.

I hope that this was a better write up Rocky. I really apologize for the original post.

Last edited:
LMAO Rod good to see you. Is that your tractor? We have one just like it but a
kubota with a plow.

Yes, I,ve been waiting over a year to really test it out. Before I got this I had been looking at conventional tractors but I saw the Kubota at PIW and decided if I could find somthing afordable like it that was the way to go.

Back