And now for a FUN JOB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I know I havent' been too visible lately. Trying to come up with a way to make a little extra money.

I am going to be working for the company that Curtis works for; "Spec's Wines, Liquors and Finer Foods".

http://www.specsonline.com/

There are 28 neighborhood stores in Houston. Curtis works at the "Mother Ship" downtown.

I will be working at a store that is a mile from my job during the week 5:00-9 and at one of the stores that is a mile from my house on Saturdays.

I am really looking forward to it. There are so many wines and beers that I will have a chance to learn about. I have to go to orientation downtown, take a wine class, and become TABC(Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission)certified before I can start. Looking at November 5th to actually start working.

I'll probably have a hard time holding on to my paycheck with all of the wines and beers I'll have access to. But looking forward to learning about all of the wines ,especially, and meeting interesting people. I think there is alot of opportunity there that I could take advantage of. Should be a great experience!!!!!!

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Does this mean that you are going to buy commercial wine?
smiley3.gif

Oh, No.....more money to buy Kits!!!!! Ingredients...bottles.....all the ultimate fun toys!!!!!

Ramona

Sounds like a fun job...as long as it doesn't interfere with your day job....

Good luck and take some time for yourself too....all work and no play isn't good..

So you are going to work after your day job until 9:00pm and also on Saturdays? You won't have time to buy any kits or spend the extra money.

Does sound like an interesting occupation. Good luck andkeep in mind what NW said aboutall work and no play.

Keep us informed!

Ok I will keep you informed.

I sit all day on my real job. And know it so well that I could do it in my sleep (some days are stressfull, not many). I figure I spend 1 hour and 30 minutes driving home after work(very stressful, going 10-15mph, stick shift). I could be making money for that hour and a half and breezing home at 9:00 when traffic is clear. Instead of drinking a bottle to unwind at 7:00. I could drink 1-2 glasses and be just as relaxed getting home at that time of night, eat a little something and go to bed. I'm ahead !!! I've figured all the angles....logistics, time, pros and cons.

Will see how it goes..... Optomistically speaking .RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Good luck with your new venture Ramona..but heed NW's advic..all work and no play.....not worth the extra money

Specs!!! wow!!! left houston about 5 years ago, and i have never found a liquor store that compares to the downtown location. i agree it will probably be difficult holding onto your paycheck.

it may be the job you enjoy going to more though
smiley4.gif

Judging by the Web Site it looks like a pretty fancy store...You'll enjoy being there...the time will fly by and you'll get some extra jingle....

Good luck, it never hurts to have a couple extra bucks for things you enjoy.

Everybody outght to have a fun job every once in a while. It seems to make perfect sense with you current situation of travel. You might as well get paid for the time you would spend in traffic anyway. It will help with the mortgage on the new house also.

It sure will, Richard.

There are things that we need to do and things I want to do.....Extra money....will help.

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
Ok I will keep you informed.

I sit all day on my real job. And know it so well that I could do it in my sleep (some days are stressfull, not many). I figure I spend 1 hour and 30 minutes driving home after work(very stressful, going 10-15mph, stick shift). I could be making money for that hour and a half and breezing home at 9:00 when traffic is clear. Instead of drinking a bottle to unwind at 7:00. I could drink 1-2 glasses and be just as relaxed getting home at that time of night, eat a little something and go to bed. I'm ahead !!! I've figured all the angles....logistics, time, pros and cons.

Will see how it goes..... Optomistically speaking .Ramona

You could save more time by drinking your wine on the way home!!...lol

I just found this!!! Cool beans, Ramona!!!! How far is job one from new job two? If it's close so you avoid the traffic, eggzelent! Keep us posted!

Joan,

Job 2 is less than a mile from job 1. And on Saturdays, the otherstore is less than a mile from my house.

I took a drug screen yesterday....that was weird! Never had to take one.

You're actually doing a very noble thing, saving all the fuel that would be burnt sitting in traffic!
smiley36.gif
I have a regular job and then my other "fun" jobs. I love all of my jobs, but the fun jobs are the bomb. I even have figured out what my retirement job should be! I know you'll have a blast playing at your fun job and the extra cash will be good.

Update:

I just spent 2 days at orientation in the downtown store. Learning about the company and all the benefits they offer, got the paperwork out of the way. And....today....had a great day learning about spirtis and wines...Alot I didn't already know. Had to take a test to be able to receive commission on some of the sales I could make.

They will pay for your kids to go to a private school, pay for your kid to go to a college, and pay for me to go to classes. Give savings bonds to every kid in your family who has an A average on the first report card and last report card of the year. 25$ savings bond. Great profit sharing, chance to travel...go to Napa .....and other countries, Spain, Australia......for education. Chance to move anywhere in the company that you want....all you have to do is want it.

I'm pumped about it and the opportunities I could have there. Nothing going on for me where I am at my real job. But It is just a part time job for now.....will see how it goes!!!!

Ramona

Do they have any work in CT.?So happy for you Ramona!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by: wade

Back