RJ Spagnols Amorone or Super Tuscan (RJS En Premier)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommBomb

Reaction score
I realize this is quite a subjective choice, but i am planning on purchasing one of these two kits and would like to know what you guys out there enjoy more.

Thanks for the inputs.

PS- if it makes any difference i have a RJS EP california cabernet aging.

They are very different from each other (and very different from table wine kits) but they are very much the style they say they are.

Amarone is one of those very distinct styles and one of my favorites. The EP kits are intended to be award winners. Having said that, I can't tell the difference between the EP and the Winery series kits.

All I can say about the Super Tuscan is that the Winery Series is superb. I can't imagine that the EP kits leaps over it.. but if they managed to improve on it, the new kit will be excellent!

Personally, I'd make both. Note that neither of these will peak for at least 2 years (more like 3).

That is a really tough choice TommBomb. I have made both and both were wonderful. You cannot go wrong with either one. I would flip a coin.

I was just going to sayflip a coin but Rocky beat me to it. The Tuscan will drink earlier IMHO.

I agree with Tony. The Super Tuscans in my experience drink earlier, but the Amarones are so worth the wait.

I never tried the Tuscan but I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the Amarone. It was real good but not as good as expected

I had a party Saturday night and the CC Rosso Fortissimo was a hit and its 15 months old. I liked it at a year but it is better now. The amarones for me start to get good at 2 to 2.5 years. My Winery series Super Tuscan is approaching a year and I will try a another split here soon. It was pretty good at 9 months and will get better as it ages.

Vernsgal: Amarone gets a tremendous amount of interest on these boards. Some people like them more than others. I like them, but they are not my favorite. My favorite is still a Super Tuscan, but everybody has different tastes.

An Amarone is different; it can be a little bitter or tart (It's in the name!). You may just love an Amarone, but not everyone does. Unless you have sampled one, I'd be inclined to go with the Super Tuscan. Two years or more is a long time to wait for a wine one might not even enjoy.

What to choice????????

I prefer AMARONE, making it ,drinking it and aging it...as far as the BIG ITALIAN REDS GO this is the best of them. Not everyone can make a AMARONE correctly at home, but if have a chance to buy one and taste it you'll understand it.HOWEVER,a good SUPPER TUSCAS is, an can BE equally outstanding, just with a very different profile, this will be the next super kit I will make ...............

I prefer AMARONE, making it ,drinking it and aging it...as far as the BIG ITALIAN REDS GO this is the best of them. Not everyone can make a AMARONE correctly at home, but if have a chance to buy one and taste it you'll understand it.HOWEVER,a good SUPPER TUSCAS is, an can BE equally outstanding, just with a very different profile, this will be the next super kit I will make ...............

Hey Joe,

In May, I brought back from Italy a special bottle of Amarone. I stayed at an agraturismo that was situated in the middle of the vineyard. The wine is only 4 years old, so I'll hold it at least another 2 years, but I'll still be drinking it very young.

The boxes on its way

I sent to you a bottle of my sangiovese I also sent you my amarone, keep your eyes open for, let me know you think,:wythere's nothing like a good bottle ,AMARONE.

Hey Joe,

In May, I brought back from Italy a special bottle of Amarone. I stayed at an agraturismo that was situated in the middle of the vineyard. The wine is only 4 years old, so I'll hold it at least another 2 years, but I'll still be drinking it very young.

Robie, what maker is the Amarone you brought back? Six years is kind of young, can't go to 8 or 10? Any picture of where you stayed?

Eberle Winery, Verona, Italy. It is a relatively young winery (and wine). The whole operation is ran by a man in his 20's. He has a great passion for wine making. Incredibly enterprising and hard working young man.

Ten to twenty years would be a good aging to shoot for, but when one is retirement age, that is a very long time. I want to make sure it is I who gets to drink it, so I dare not wait 10 to 20 years.

I stayed at his agraturismo - San Mattia. He took us on a tour of his vineyards and winery. Afterward, we got to taste all his wines, including the Amarone.

All in time

when you get a chance to drink this style of wine ,that's the right time, aging is a process for wine and other things to mature, but I do agree at 65 I'm not waiting for another ten years to taste, yet alone have teeth for chewing by them,ha,aha....................:sm

I just bottled my first Tuscan kit. It bulk aged for 15 months. It's pretty good.:h

Joe,
I have to admit, your Amarone has to be one of the best that I've drank, and I buy a bit of big bold Italian reds, (you cant make them, if you don't know what you should be shooting for) I'd place yours up with the $65-$75.00 dollar bottles that we've had, easily!
My Amarone will be going into the barrels soon, I cannot wait to taste the transformation! My Brunello has another month or 2, but it is already getting real close to some of the commercial Brunello's that I've had recently. I cannot wait to open the $150.00 bottle, but I'll keep that for a few more years...maybe....LOL
I will send you a bottle when they are ready, after the Brunello comes out of the barrel, the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo will take it's turn in it for 4 months....I get as excited as a little kid in a candy store!!!!

Pumpkinman

I DID SEND YOU A BOTTLE OF THE SANGIOVES DID'N I TO SAMPLE?AT LEAST I THOUGHT I DID....GETTING OLD i'M:try

Latest posts

Back